#1 Ernie Zahn

Ernie Zahn
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 180 posts
  • Director
  • Greenwich, CT

Posted 14 June 2008 - 11:57 AM

Are there any good guides for modding cameras? For example I want to be able to create an external power source for my Canon 514 XL so it can have more torque and running time. I was told that this is possible and it does create those results. Also are there any good systems that anyone has devised for diagnostic/maintenance for cameras? I'm trying to get a lot more involved in the engineering of the camera so I can rely less on third parties. I.e. repair shops etc. I'm going to start doing a lot of trial and error as well as reading up, but if there's anything anyone can contribute to my endeavor it would be a time saver for at least a few things.

#2 andy oliver

andy oliver
  • Sustaining Members
  • 258 posts
  • Other
  • uk

Posted 15 June 2008 - 07:43 AM

Are there any good guides for modding cameras? For example I want to be able to create an external power source for my Canon 514 XL so it can have more torque and running time. I was told that this is possible and it does create those results. Also are there any good systems that anyone has devised for diagnostic/maintenance for cameras? I'm trying to get a lot more involved in the engineering of the camera so I can rely less on third parties. I.e. repair shops etc. I'm going to start doing a lot of trial and error as well as reading up, but if there's anything anyone can contribute to my endeavor it would be a time saver for at least a few things.

Hi, just a thought, wouldn't be easier to trade your 514xl for a XLS version, that camera will have more torque given it runs on 6 AA batts and was designed to transport sound carts, also i seem to recall the XLS version has a batt jack for the canon 9v external power pack... Also i've found the XLS runs quieter and smooter sounding over the XL version..

Edited by andy oliver, 15 June 2008 - 07:44 AM.

#3 Bernhard Zitz

Bernhard Zitz
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 342 posts
  • Other
  • Z├╝rich, Switzerland

Posted 15 June 2008 - 04:36 PM

For example I want to be able to create an external power source for my Canon 514 XL

Just solder a cable to +point and another to the -point and plug what ever gives you 3V DC.

I run most of my gear (S8, 16mm, Fieldrecorder, LCD-Monitors, Photoflashes etc.) on camcorder Li-Ions or on Lead-Acids. This works better and longer than Alkalines or NMHs.

Checking polarity will save you from frying your gear.

Also are there any good systems that anyone has devised for diagnostic/maintenance for cameras?

The flash contact is a good point for checking speed accuracy, it's basically a switch that switches at running speed.

For checking 25 i/s the simplest way is to film a running PAL TV and check for interferences.

For the rest it's like with every other Filmcamera, shooting tests will tell you more. The big difference with Pro-Gear is that simply getting another S8-device is often easier and cheaper than maintenance.

A good starting point for info is http://super8wiki.co...x.php/Main_Page and the numerous internet-forums and S8-sites.

Edited by Bernhard Zitz, 15 June 2008 - 04:39 PM.

#4 Ernie Zahn

Ernie Zahn
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 180 posts
  • Director
  • Greenwich, CT

Posted 16 June 2008 - 08:26 AM

thanks for the help everyone:)

#5 Matthew Buick

Matthew Buick
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2345 posts
  • Student
  • Newcastle upon Tyne, UK.

Posted 16 June 2008 - 04:03 PM

Are there any good guides for modding cameras? For example I want to be able to create an external power source for my Canon 514 XL so it can have more torque and running time.

Simple, fit a Diesel engine! :lol:

#6 Matthew Buick

Matthew Buick
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2345 posts
  • Student
  • Newcastle upon Tyne, UK.

Posted 17 June 2008 - 03:05 PM

Simple, fit a Diesel engine! :lol:

Sorry, that was a bit anal of me. Electric motors are known for torque, perhaps a motor for a Hornby train would be a good idea, and some sort of voltage controller, that would reduce the speed of the motor, and in theory you could have any frame rate.

Hope that helps. ;)

#7 Matthew W. Phillips

Matthew W. Phillips
  • Sustaining Members
  • 1792 posts
  • Other

Posted 17 June 2008 - 05:45 PM

Also i've found the XLS runs quieter and smooter sounding over the XL version..

I've never messed with a 512 XL, but if it is louder than an XLS, it must be like a jackhammer. The XLS are far from quiet, although I've only heard the 814XLS and the 1014XLS.

Metropolis Post

CineLab

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Willys Widgets

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Technodolly

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Paralinx LLC

Wooden Camera

Aerial Filmworks

Rig Wheels Passport

Opal