5 replies to this topic

#1 Saul Rodgar

Saul Rodgar
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1682 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 14 June 2008 - 12:29 PM

So I am slated to shoot a short in two weeks. We were going to shoot using two Panasonic cameras, the HDX 900 and HPX 2000. The HPX 2000 went down last week.

Budget will not allow for rental of a second HDX 900.

Now, my co-DP is thinking about using his own XDCAM X1 camera instead of the 2000 and production is loving it.

I am aware of the Intra, non-MPEG2 compression (DVCPRO HD) versus Inter, MPEG2, long-GOP compression (XDCAM) issues. So I am a bit nervous about mixing the two.

I am fairly certain we can make the picture match on both. But I am more concerned about the footage compression differences. What do you guys think?

Thanks!

#2 Adrian Sierkowski

Adrian Sierkowski
  • Sustaining Members
  • 7117 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles, Ca

Posted 14 June 2008 - 12:36 PM

I think a lot of it will matter as per your final delivery format. If you're living in DVD for a final product, i don't see how it'd be that big of an issue, same would go in a for-web production. For TV broadcast, in HD, it might be a slight problem, however with color correction now, I'm sure you can match them fine. I am unsure how well they'd match theatrically; but then again, for something like that you'd be going through a DI, so again, you can match them.
From what I have heard, people have been intercutting the PMWEX1 and the RED with adequate results. Take that for what it's worth (a rumor, though DVX user has a compositing test between the two)

#3 Saul Rodgar

Saul Rodgar
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1682 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 14 June 2008 - 01:08 PM

Production doesn't know what the end format will be. My guess is that it will be HD of some sort . . .

#4 Adrian Sierkowski

Adrian Sierkowski
  • Sustaining Members
  • 7117 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles, Ca

Posted 14 June 2008 - 01:14 PM

In the end, I think you can finess them both to play nice. While the HVX is higher data-rate, the XDcam is newer compression, and from what I hear, a better lens, larger chips etc.
In either case, you may be stuck doing a little bit of tweaking in post, but that's pretty much the norm between any two cameras.
No chance for a quick and dirty test I take it?

#5 Saul Rodgar

Saul Rodgar
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1682 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 14 June 2008 - 04:38 PM

In the end, I think you can finess them both to play nice. While the HVX is higher data-rate, the XDcam is newer compression, and from what I hear, a better lens, larger chips etc.
In either case, you may be stuck doing a little bit of tweaking in post, but that's pretty much the norm between any two cameras.
No chance for a quick and dirty test I take it?

I am told next Sunday from 10 to 3 . . . So we'll see. I am not even sure it is a EX1. The email I got said X1. I am waiting for a clarifying email. I may want to get a matching EX1 if that is the case, that would make more sense, wouldn't it?

Thanks, man.

#6 Adrian Sierkowski

Adrian Sierkowski
  • Sustaining Members
  • 7117 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles, Ca

Posted 14 June 2008 - 04:40 PM

Most def would be best for two of the same cameras.
X1, EH; coudl be an FX1, in which case, well, that's HDV. . so i'd not go down that route.

CineTape

CineLab

Wooden Camera

Technodolly

rebotnix Technologies

Opal

Paralinx LLC

The Slider

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Rig Wheels Passport

Willys Widgets