3 replies to this topic

#1 Jason Anderson

Jason Anderson
  • Sustaining Members
  • 75 posts
  • Student
  • Denver, Co

Posted 14 June 2008 - 04:37 PM

If I had to shoot my daylight balanced stock under tungstens and in order to get all the light possible, without the filter, what might happen?. I assume it can be balanced later, are there side effects to doing it this way? What are the benefits of using a filter to correct it optically. Finally, if I shot daylight balanced and tungsten balanced both under tungsten lights, what will be the final result after the daylight balanced has been corrected in post.

Jason

#2 Dan Goulder

Dan Goulder
  • Sustaining Members
  • 1259 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 14 June 2008 - 06:13 PM

If I had to shoot my daylight balanced stock under tungstens and in order to get all the light possible, without the filter, what might happen?. I assume it can be balanced later, are there side effects to doing it this way? What are the benefits of using a filter to correct it optically. Finally, if I shot daylight balanced and tungsten balanced both under tungsten lights, what will be the final result after the daylight balanced has been corrected in post.

Jason

If you're using Kodak '05 stock, the results will look surprisingly good, as this stock does an impressive job with mixed light. I'm not sure I understand your last question. Are you referring to using tungsten stock under strictly tungsten lighting, or mixed with daylight? (If the lighting is mixed, you'll have better luck correcting daylight stock.)

#3 Jason Anderson

Jason Anderson
  • Sustaining Members
  • 75 posts
  • Student
  • Denver, Co

Posted 14 June 2008 - 06:25 PM

I'm not sure I understand your last question. Are you referring to using tungsten stock under strictly tungsten lighting, or mixed with daylight? (If the lighting is mixed, you'll have better luck correcting daylight stock.)

If I loaded two different stocks, daylight balanced and tungsten stock, shot a scene illuminated by tungsten bulbs twice, what happens? Clearly if you shoot the correct stock it will save time in post, but is that the only reason to shoot it correctly.

thanks

Jason

#4 Dan Goulder

Dan Goulder
  • Sustaining Members
  • 1259 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 14 June 2008 - 07:12 PM

If I loaded two different stocks, daylight balanced and tungsten stock, shot a scene illuminated by tungsten bulbs twice, what happens? Clearly if you shoot the correct stock it will save time in post, but is that the only reason to shoot it correctly.

thanks

Jason

The daylight stock will appear reddish. It's about more than saving time. When the colorist has to make gross adjustments because the wrong stock was used, there are bound to be compromises. The less difficult you make things for the colorist, the truer will be your results.

Ritter Battery

Aerial Filmworks

rebotnix Technologies

Pro 8mm

Tai Audio

Willys Widgets

Zylight

CineLab

Technodolly

The Slider

Metropolis Post

Broadcast Solutions Inc