Creative differences with the Director

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Colin Oh

Colin Oh
  • Guests

Posted 16 June 2008 - 01:30 AM

This has happened to me in the past and probably has happened to a lot of you all, too.

Well, I have had creative differences with a director about a certain shot, look, or style of a film. I am all about having a certain look/shot/movement as long as it enhances the story. But sometimes a director asks for a certain thing that you know will either not work/look corny/look bad and is not willing to change his mind. I'm not going into specifics because I just want to ask everyone hypothetically.

I know that the director has final creative say over the film, but you are also putting your name on it. When some people watch the film, they may blame you for the mistake that was the director's decision.

What would you do?

Edited by Colin Oh, 16 June 2008 - 01:30 AM.

#2 Adam Frisch FSF

Adam Frisch FSF
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2009 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles, USA

Posted 16 June 2008 - 03:45 AM

You fight the fights worth fighting. Most of them are not worth fighting, but once in a while a really big one comes along and then it's important to stand your ground.

#3 Serge Teulon

Serge Teulon
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 757 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • London UK

Posted 16 June 2008 - 04:38 AM

You fight the fights worth fighting. Most of them are not worth fighting, but once in a while a really big one comes along and then it's important to stand your ground.

I agree completely!

I must also add that through 'creative fights' I have also forged some great working relationships. There are only certain things that you learn about each other that happen under such a situation

S

#4 Nate Downes

Nate Downes
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1638 posts
  • Florida, USA

Posted 17 June 2008 - 07:25 AM

I know that the director has final creative say over the film, but you are also putting your name on it. When some people watch the film, they may blame you for the mistake that was the director's decision.

What would you do?

First off, this statement is untrue. The Producer has final creative say over the film, and Directors that ignore this do so at their own peril. Same with DoP's. Learn which fights to fight. Alternatively, suggest shooting it both ways, as coverage?

Glidecam

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Ritter Battery

The Slider

rebotnix Technologies

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

CineTape

Broadcast Solutions Inc

FJS International, LLC

CineLab

Aerial Filmworks

Paralinx LLC