Richardson Leao
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 363 posts
  • Other
  • Stockholm, Sweden

Posted 16 June 2008 - 05:45 AM

Hi all,

I am looking for a reflex 16mm with 30m loads and I was curious if there is anything apart from

K3
scoopic
bolexes
beaulieus

cheers

richard

#2 Ian Cooper

Ian Cooper
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 469 posts
  • Other
  • England

Posted 16 June 2008 - 06:06 AM

Arri 16s
Kinor 16SX2

#3 Richardson Leao

Richardson Leao
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 363 posts
  • Other
  • Stockholm, Sweden

Posted 16 June 2008 - 09:48 AM

Arri 16s
Kinor 16SX2

I was thinking more like the k3/bolex type... Everything packed in a piece. But maybe the arri s...

#4 Will Montgomery

Will Montgomery
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2030 posts
  • Producer
  • Dallas, TX

Posted 16 June 2008 - 10:17 AM

There's also the Kiev-16UE.
Posted Image

I have one in a closet, haven't had a chance to test it out yet. It's more of a "home movie" camera but there is a motorized version.

Also, if you don't mind winding, the Kodak K-100 can be outfitted with a reflex lens and they are extremely reliable and built like a tank. The K-100 has the longest wind out of any 16mm camera I know too... it lasts almost a minute.

On the Arri S, I happened to catch the documentary "When We Left Earth" this weekend and it was wild to see a row of cameras capturing a lift off and out of the 6 or so cameras visible, like 5 were Arri S's. About 1968 or so I believe.

#5 Herb Montes

Herb Montes
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 225 posts
  • Other
  • Gulf Coast of Texas

Posted 16 June 2008 - 07:51 PM

There's also the Kiev-16UE.
Posted Image

I have one in a closet, haven't had a chance to test it out yet. It's more of a "home movie" camera but there is a motorized version.

Also, if you don't mind winding, the Kodak K-100 can be outfitted with a reflex lens and they are extremely reliable and built like a tank. The K-100 has the longest wind out of any 16mm camera I know too... it lasts almost a minute.

On the Arri S, I happened to catch the documentary "When We Left Earth" this weekend and it was wild to see a row of cameras capturing a lift off and out of the 6 or so cameras visible, like 5 were Arri S's. About 1968 or so I believe.

I have a Kiev 16-UE though the picture you show is of the clockwork version. The UE is electric powered using about 12 AA batteries. I bought mine from Olex and he provided a special connector so I can run the camera off an AC adapter or a larger battery. I shot one roll of Fomapan with it and the camera is very noisy but it does shoot decent pictures. It uses a mirrored shutter with propriety screw mount lenses. The film spools are side by side but not difficult to load. It comes with a pistol grip so it can be used handheld. It is about as heavy as a Bolex but has a low profile. I really think the Kinor 16-SX is a better choice coming with interchangeable 100 foot or 400 foot magazines. Olex can provide variable speed and crystal speed motor modifications.

Edited by Herb Montes, 16 June 2008 - 07:52 PM.

#6 Richardson Leao

Richardson Leao
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 363 posts
  • Other
  • Stockholm, Sweden

Posted 17 June 2008 - 04:31 AM

I have a Kiev 16-UE though the picture you show is of the clockwork version. The UE is electric powered using about 12 AA batteries. I bought mine from Olex and he provided a special connector so I can run the camera off an AC adapter or a larger battery. I shot one roll of Fomapan with it and the camera is very noisy but it does shoot decent pictures. It uses a mirrored shutter with propriety screw mount lenses. The film spools are side by side but not difficult to load. It comes with a pistol grip so it can be used handheld. It is about as heavy as a Bolex but has a low profile. I really think the Kinor 16-SX is a better choice coming with interchangeable 100 foot or 400 foot magazines. Olex can provide variable speed and crystal speed motor modifications.

I have a kinor and for sure it's a fabulous camera (also modified by Olex), I just wanted something to film inside a train at rush hour. But I gues I can always smuggle my kinor... but thanks for the info.

#7 Frank Barrera

Frank Barrera
  • Sustaining Members
  • 464 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles, CA

Posted 17 June 2008 - 05:57 AM

Perhaps it's a little bigger than you were thinking but the Aaton A-Minima is extremely low profile.

#8 Herb Montes

Herb Montes
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 225 posts
  • Other
  • Gulf Coast of Texas

Posted 17 June 2008 - 07:00 AM

I have a kinor and for sure it's a fabulous camera (also modified by Olex), I just wanted something to film inside a train at rush hour. But I gues I can always smuggle my kinor... but thanks for the info.

The Kiev is small but it's also noisier than your average 16mm. Unless you wrap it with a heavy coat it will get noticed. And something wrapped in a coat with a pistol grip will definitely attract attention. Watch out you don't get tased, bro.

#9 Hans Engstrom

Hans Engstrom
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 195 posts
  • 1st Assistant Camera
  • Sweden

Posted 17 June 2008 - 11:42 AM

Would have used a quiet sync camera because I think the noise is one thing that will get peoples attention.

#10 Will Montgomery

Will Montgomery
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2030 posts
  • Producer
  • Dallas, TX

Posted 17 June 2008 - 11:45 AM

What about an A-Cam? Not reflex, but very small.

http://www.ikonoskop.../acam/index.asp

Abel Cine

The Slider

Visual Products

Glidecam

Ritter Battery

Aerial Filmworks

Wooden Camera

Tai Audio

FJS International, LLC

CineLab

Metropolis Post