#1 Edward M

Edward M
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • Other
  • Uganda

Posted 16 June 2008 - 10:17 AM

I am in the process of procuring a few HPX 500 cameras for a TV channel, the idea is to have these machines recording tons and tons of material, however after testing one camera on the weekend I find that shooting in HD takes up the card storage in no time the option is to off load the content onto a portable p2 harddrive Panasonic AJ-PCS060G, there are 2 issues I foresee...

1 - 60 GB is very small storage for backing up anything

2 - I was advised that AJ-PCS060G does not support the new Intel chip mac how far true is this?

cheers

#2 Helmut Kobler

Helmut Kobler

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Producer

Posted 16 June 2008 - 03:50 PM

I agree, Sedu, the P2 Store (60 gbs) is too small these days, and it's very easily to fill it up.

I don't know about Intel Mac compatibility, but I will say that you have an alternative if a P2 Store isn't working for you (as far as I can tell).

It's called a P2 Gear, and it's another Panasonic product that weighs about a pound, takes the same battery as an HVX200 (I think), and allows you to insert two P2 cards full of material. You can also plug in any USB or Firewire hard drive to the P2 Gear, and offload your footage to that hard drive. In other words, the P2 Gear lets you dump your footage to much bigger hard drives, and it also lets you use mirrored hard drives (two drives in one case), for data redundancy in case one of the drives crashes.

In the Fall, Panasonic will double its P2 card capacity, going from 32 to 64 gb cards. These will also help you store more data in the field, without having to worry about dumping the data in the middle of the day. Personally, I feel P2 will become truly workable for my applications once I have 64Gb cards in my hands...

#3 Edward M

Edward M
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • Other
  • Uganda

Posted 17 June 2008 - 03:26 AM

I agree, Sedu, the P2 Store (60 gbs) is too small these days, and it's very easily to fill it up.

I don't know about Intel Mac compatibility, but I will say that you have an alternative if a P2 Store isn't working for you (as far as I can tell).

It's called a P2 Gear, and it's another Panasonic product that weighs about a pound, takes the same battery as an HVX200 (I think), and allows you to insert two P2 cards full of material. You can also plug in any USB or Firewire hard drive to the P2 Gear, and offload your footage to that hard drive. In other words, the P2 Gear lets you dump your footage to much bigger hard drives, and it also lets you use mirrored hard drives (two drives in one case), for data redundancy in case one of the drives crashes.

In the Fall, Panasonic will double its P2 card capacity, going from 32 to 64 gb cards. These will also help you store more data in the field, without having to worry about dumping the data in the middle of the day. Personally, I feel P2 will become truly workable for my applications once I have 64Gb cards in my hands...

Thanks

SM

Opal

Wooden Camera

Aerial Filmworks

Visual Products

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Glidecam

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Metropolis Post

rebotnix Technologies

Abel Cine