6 replies to this topic

#1 Keith Walters

Keith Walters
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2219 posts
  • Other
  • Sydney Australia

Posted 17 June 2008 - 05:49 AM

I'm starting to notice a few ads on our local TV networks with a distinct "look".

They have the characteristic razor-sharp clarity of 35mm origination, but the dynamic range is well, pretty ordinary.

One example is the current McDonalds "Kids Choices" ads.

Was that by any chance shot with the RED?

If not, who ever did the telecine should have been shot! :lol:

If it is, I begin to see why nobody seems interested in trumpeting their acheivements.
But Christ, the RED can't be THAT bad, surely.

#2 Matthew Rogers

Matthew Rogers
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 175 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Knoxville, TN

Posted 17 June 2008 - 08:18 AM

I'm starting to notice a few ads on our local TV networks with a distinct "look".

They have the characteristic razor-sharp clarity of 35mm origination, but the dynamic range is well, pretty ordinary.

One example is the current McDonalds "Kids Choices" ads.

Was that by any chance shot with the RED?

If not, who ever did the telecine should have been shot! :lol:

If it is, I begin to see why nobody seems interested in trumpeting their acheivements.
But Christ, the RED can't be THAT bad, surely.

I don't know about your Aussie ad, but I saw an spot for Dollywood here in Knoxville (it's an amusement park) that I am pretty sure was shot on RED. Either they didn't light it correctly (doubtful knowing the crew they probably had), didn't know how to grade it, or most likely, the local station just butchered the broadcast. I didn't mind some of the blown out highlights in the background (looked natural) but the blown out skin on the people's faces did NOT look good at all. Plus, it was really soft when compared other spots (even stuff shot in SD.)

Matthew

#3 Keith Walters

Keith Walters
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2219 posts
  • Other
  • Sydney Australia

Posted 17 June 2008 - 03:55 PM

I don't know about your Aussie ad, but I saw an spot for Dollywood here in Knoxville (it's an amusement park) that I am pretty sure was shot on RED. Either they didn't light it correctly (doubtful knowing the crew they probably had), didn't know how to grade it, or most likely, the local station just butchered the broadcast. I didn't mind some of the blown out highlights in the background (looked natural) but the blown out skin on the people's faces did NOT look good at all. Plus, it was really soft when compared other spots (even stuff shot in SD.)

Matthew

Well soft is the last thing I would have expected from a RED, but there might have been some reason for it. Although in that case you would wonder what the point of shooting with a RED was, unless it was cheap :lol:

There is no excuse for degradation of image sharpness. Given good source material and simple edits, even Windows Movie Maker can produce quite convincing SD broadcast quality, snce all it does is copy parts of "wild" AVI files into another AVI file.

When you say: "Either they didn't light it correctly (doubtful knowing the crew they probably had),"
do you mean "doubtful they did it correctly", or "unlikely they would not have known how to light correctly"

#4 John Sprung

John Sprung
  • Sustaining Members
  • 4635 posts
  • Other

Posted 17 June 2008 - 04:16 PM

Hmmm -- So what's Dollywood? If it's the Dolly I'm thinking of, there may be a good reason to go a bit soft.

-- J.S.

#5 Matthew Rogers

Matthew Rogers
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 175 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Knoxville, TN

Posted 17 June 2008 - 08:01 PM

I was saying that it's a crew that knew what they were doing. This would be some of the same crew that is lighting the Hanna Montana movie--so if that sucks you'll know it's the crew;) And yes, it is Dolly's park. I did a shoot a few years ago with her for the park and I really couldn't believe that someone with a waist so small could have a chest so big!

Matthew

#6 Keith Walters

Keith Walters
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2219 posts
  • Other
  • Sydney Australia

Posted 19 June 2008 - 05:03 AM

So...nobody is going to tell me.
I really don't know what to make of this.
Is everybody hanging out for build 16, or what?
Hello o-o-o-o...?

#7 Keith Walters

Keith Walters
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2219 posts
  • Other
  • Sydney Australia

Posted 19 June 2008 - 05:07 AM

I did a shoot a few years ago with her for the park and I really couldn't believe that someone with a waist so small could have a chest so big!

Matthew

I believe she has had her mammalian real estate downsized recently, as it was putting her back out. I've heard that a bustline like that is like walking around with a full grown daschund strapped to your chest :lol:

CineTape

rebotnix Technologies

Opal

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Metropolis Post

Visual Products

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Ritter Battery

Tai Audio

Abel Cine

Glidecam

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS