Mikayel Balian

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 18 June 2008 - 01:27 PM

Hello,

I was recently awarded the opportunity to intern at Panavision and I'm also thinking about applying for the 2 year program that they offer. I hear wonderful things about me getting to meet a lot of great people that work in the industry. Does anyone know the turnout of students that actually get in the industry after completing the 2 year program? Thank you.

-Mikayel. B.

#2 Paul Bruening

Paul Bruening

(deceased)

• Sustaining Members
  • 2858 posts
  • Producer
  • Oxford, Mississippi

Posted 18 June 2008 - 02:02 PM

Are you kidding? GO FOR IT! Even if it doesn't lead to anything bigger, it's a hell of a lot better than flipping burgers. Unless you want to join me in my new movie industry association: The SMPBF (Society of Motion Picture Burger Flippers).

#3 Mikayel Balian

Mikayel Balian

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 18 June 2008 - 07:30 PM

Are you kidding? GO FOR IT! Even if it doesn't lead to anything bigger, it's a hell of a lot better than flipping burgers. Unless you want to join me in my new movie industry association: The SMPBF (Society of Motion Picture Burger Flippers).

Yeah, i have to say I'm really excited. I think i almost joined your association. Almost..
Thanks Again.

-Mikayel

#4 Tom Lowe

Tom Lowe
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1211 posts
  • Director
  • somewhere worshipping Terrence Malick

Posted 18 June 2008 - 10:21 PM

Man, that sounds fantastic.

#5 Diana Fox

Diana Fox
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • Student
  • New York

Posted 19 June 2008 - 02:23 AM

1st- Congratulations!
2nd- I have a couple questions regarding interning for Panavison, do you know if there's an average age they hire around? I'm wondering if I apply when I'm 20 if I would still be too young. What are my chances if I haven't graduated yet, or haven't been to film school? - and not going or majoring in it. If anyone has any idea- thanks.

#6 Maya Bankovic

Maya Bankovic
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Toronto, Canada

Posted 04 July 2008 - 01:56 AM

I'm not sure about what the program at Panavision is like in LA, but I interned at Panavision in Toronto and learned a ton there. Within a couple of weeks I had built every camera they have (plus they also carry Arri and Moviecam here), learned how to load any mag I'll ever come across, played around with geared heads and learned a lot about optics. I was 21 when I did it and nobody was bothered by my age but I did need to be insured through my university.

Good luck!

Maya

#7 Luc Allein

Luc Allein
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts
  • 2nd Assistant Camera
  • Los Angeles

Posted 09 July 2008 - 09:50 PM

I worked there for a year (and will be back next year) and saw a couple of former interns working as AC's, so yeah it pans out. Which one are you working at? I could be wrong but I think they ditched the 2 year program at Woodland Hills and only had it at Hollywood? I forget.

CineTape

Aerial Filmworks

Tai Audio

Willys Widgets

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

rebotnix Technologies

Opal

Glidecam

Ritter Battery

FJS International, LLC

Paralinx LLC

CineLab