#1 Jonathan Bowerbank

Jonathan Bowerbank
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2815 posts
  • 1st Assistant Camera
  • San Francisco, CA

Posted 18 June 2008 - 08:45 PM

I was actually pleasantly surprised. It was a lot more economical in its execution and storytelling and really cut to the chase while keeping it light, fun and also intense and interesting.

I think Tim Roth was a poor choice as a vengeful British ex-patriot Marine (explain that one to me), but it was forgivable. Lighting and camera was good considering the genre. It wasn't so highkey like the previous HULK film, and it added a bit more anticipation before revealing the monster.

POSSIBLE SPOILER ALERT

The scene with Downey Jr. as Tony Stark should have been after the credits just as with Sam Jackson in Iron Man. The film stood so well on its own it had a great ending shot of Norton Jr. that would have been an ideal final impression. But they stole its thunder by adding the Iron Man/SHIELD/whatever that multi-superhero movie is going to be...scene.

#2 Alex Hall

Alex Hall
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Nashville, TN

Posted 19 June 2008 - 02:01 PM

I really enjoyed this film. The flash backs really made me remember the TV show.

#3 Nate Downes

Nate Downes
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1638 posts
  • Florida, USA

Posted 20 June 2008 - 09:18 AM

This Hulk was far closer to the way I'd hoped a Hulk movie would be. Rather than just some repressed guy letting his inner self go (as the first one was) this was a multiple personality disorder gone amok. You have Banner with the Hulk right behind his eyes, the monster learning to become a Hero. While the first one had brilliant fight scenes, they seemed out of place. Less Crouching Tiger, more HULK SMASH!!!

That being said, i thought the cinematography was far more appealing than the trailers presented. A great use of foreshadow, using negative space as space itself, almost noir-like at points. Absolutely beautiful. You got a true sence of Banners torment, and his self-loathing, how he externalized the Hulk from himself when it was part of him the whole time.

I'd not classify it on Iron Man levels, but I would put it in the top-10 thus far for the year.

#4 Serge Teulon

Serge Teulon
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 757 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • London UK

Posted 20 June 2008 - 11:32 AM

Its a bit disappointing that it goes from Edward Norton (who I rate as a TOP actor) to a green CGI of Hulk......somehow it just doesn't fit!!

S

#5 Jonathan Bowerbank

Jonathan Bowerbank
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2815 posts
  • 1st Assistant Camera
  • San Francisco, CA

Posted 21 June 2008 - 03:57 AM

There was only one hulk out moment in the film where I went "mehhh, whyyy!". When the Hulk broke through a glass overpass, and the filmmakers decided it should be in slow-mo descent. It was the ugliest CG shot ever. There are just some things that should stay in real time.

#6 Serge Teulon

Serge Teulon
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 757 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • London UK

Posted 21 June 2008 - 12:47 PM

......where I went "mehhh, whyyy!".

I've tried...god knows I've tried but what does "Mehhhh" sound like? :P

#7 Tom Lowe

Tom Lowe
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1211 posts
  • Director
  • somewhere worshipping Terrence Malick

Posted 21 June 2008 - 06:59 PM

Loved that opening shot in Brazil, as the camera climbs up a seemingly endless hill covered with shanty homes.

I thought Roth was horribly miscast. An SAS solider? LOL.

Both Iron Man and the new Hulk suffered from having sort of random (but similar to them) enemies thrown in at the end, for a convenient WWE style face off. Studios need to get more creative with their bad-guy nemeses.

All in all, I liked this one better than the first. Actually, quite a bit more.

#8 Keith Walters

Keith Walters
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2219 posts
  • Other
  • Sydney Australia

Posted 24 June 2008 - 06:57 AM

This Hulk was far closer to the way I'd hoped a Hulk movie would be. Rather than just some repressed guy letting his inner self go (as the first one was) this was a multiple personality disorder gone amok. You have Banner with the Hulk right behind his eyes, the monster learning to become a Hero. While the first one had brilliant fight scenes, they seemed out of place. Less Crouching Tiger, more HULK SMASH!!!

That being said, i thought the cinematography was far more appealing than the trailers presented. A great use of foreshadow, using negative space as space itself, almost noir-like at points. Absolutely beautiful. You got a true sence of Banners torment, and his self-loathing, how he externalized the Hulk from himself when it was part of him the whole time.

I'd not classify it on Iron Man levels, but I would put it in the top-10 thus far for the year.

All the above pretty much sums up my opinion too.
I thought it was great the way you didn't really see greenskin until after he had made quite a bit of mayhem. Cinematography-wise this was very shrewd, since just about everybody in the audience is going to know what the Hulk is and looks like, but the soldiers and local riff-raff in the story of course don't, which makes us one up on them, and so makes it more fun to watch. Definitely less is more!
(The same approach was used in Iron Man to really good effect).

Apparently this was shot with Panavision anamorphics, certainly the grain was barely noticeable. The 2K DI onluy showed its limitations where there was a lot of background action, of which there was quite a lot, but generally the CGI and live action resolutions were quite well matched.

Once again Marvel have managed to make a "Family" movie that everybody can enjoy, again showing that wall-to-wall profanity is not really necessary for a successful feature. It's not in Iron Man's league takings-wise but it's still on its way to turning a nice profit.

If I have any criticism, it could have used a little more humour.

#9 Giovanni Speranza

Giovanni Speranza
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 19 July 2008 - 06:47 PM

Finally some good film stock + good cinematographer + good telecine for a very high image quality and colorimetry .

The Slider

Technodolly

FJS International, LLC

Ritter Battery

Visual Products

Wooden Camera

Rig Wheels Passport

CineLab

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Tai Audio

Metropolis Post

Paralinx LLC