Alex Hughes

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Other

Posted 20 June 2008 - 07:17 AM

Hi

Thanks to everyone for the info here, for a newbie it's been really usefull.

Last week I took my Eumig Nautica down to 29m (the deepest it's been yet), it didn't flood as the motor and the electrics are fine but the viewfinder has gradually got 'cloudy' and has now totally clouded over. I don't think it is going to affect the exposure as you can see the 'cloud' is on the actual clear plastic of the viewfinder. Any suggestions as to what has happened or a remedy?

Cheers
Alex

#2 Steve Wallace

Steve Wallace
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts
  • Other
  • Burbank, CA

Posted 22 June 2008 - 03:15 PM

Hi

Thanks to everyone for the info here, for a newbie it's been really usefull.

Last week I took my Eumig Nautica down to 29m (the deepest it's been yet), it didn't flood as the motor and the electrics are fine but the viewfinder has gradually got 'cloudy' and has now totally clouded over. I don't think it is going to affect the exposure as you can see the 'cloud' is on the actual clear plastic of the viewfinder. Any suggestions as to what has happened or a remedy?

Cheers
Alex

Sounds like it did flood. Maybe just a few drops. Then when you took it out of the water the temperature change caused condensation, therefore clouding up the viewfinder. If in fact it is just in the viewfinder your images should be fine? But the clouding could have occurred on the back element as well? how would you know? Try shooting a test and framing with the paralex attachment.

To fix, you will need to have your camera serviced. Bolex in Switzerland does this, as well as others. I've worked with them and found them very helpful, but they are not cheap.

regards,

#3 Alex Hughes

Alex Hughes

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Other

Posted 24 June 2008 - 05:14 PM

Sounds like it did flood. Maybe just a few drops. Then when you took it out of the water the temperature change caused condensation, therefore clouding up the viewfinder. If in fact it is just in the viewfinder your images should be fine? But the clouding could have occurred on the back element as well? how would you know? Try shooting a test and framing with the paralex attachment.

To fix, you will need to have your camera serviced. Bolex in Switzerland does this, as well as others. I've worked with them and found them very helpful, but they are not cheap.

regards,

Hi Steve

Thanks for the advice.

Regards

#4 Jonas Hendrix

Jonas Hendrix

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Producer

Posted 02 July 2008 - 09:00 AM

Hi , i have the same camera , sending it to service is the best thing to do , but before that you could put the camera in a jar full of rice , this is a poor man silica gel bag option , i have done it twice with my camera and it works , do remove the batteries and be careful not to get any rice in the camera or the gate , what i do is put the camera inside a net / silk stoking and then in to a big jar , leave it for a few days , that might help a bit ..

you should also get a new O-ring for the door , it might be that its not sealing completely ..

cheers!!

Jonas

Wooden Camera

Glidecam

CineLab

Rig Wheels Passport

Visual Products

FJS International, LLC

Abel Cine

Aerial Filmworks

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Opal