1 reply to this topic

#1 jonathan grant

jonathan grant
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • Producer

Posted 21 June 2008 - 02:00 AM

I shot a movie in 24pA and edited it in adobe premiere in 24p timeline. Then exported it to avi using the default settings. I assume this avi is 24pA (it won't play in windows media player without flickering really badly, you have to play it in a dvd playing software for it to play correctly)

I need this avi converted to digibeta. The production house doesn't know how to do a 24p avi to digibeta. Is there anything I need to know? Can they just import it into a timeline and export it digibeta normally? If so, what kind of timeline do they need to import it into and what settings do they need to export it with?

I tried importing the 23.98 avi into a 29.97 timeline and exporting it but it duplicates every 5th frame no matter what I try and thus looks very poor.

I'm desperate and don't know what to do! It exports to DVD wonderfully with the 24p and looks great. So it should be able to go to digibeta in some way right? Is there another format I can send a digital film without having to compress it? Another kind of tape?

Thanks so much!!!

Edited by jonathan grant, 21 June 2008 - 02:02 AM.

#2 Chance Shirley

Chance Shirley
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 256 posts
  • Director

Posted 21 June 2008 - 08:37 PM

I'm not really familiar with Premiere. That said, if the DVD is working correctly, sounds like your timeline is true/correct 24p.

I'd think you could output a 24p AVI (computer video playback should be frame rate agnostic). If you output a 24pA AVI, that is going to look choppy, as every fifth frame is redundant. In theory, Final Cut Pro can correctly output a 24p timeline to 29.97 fps for tape on the fly -- not sure about Premiere. What I usually end up doing is using After Effects to re-interpolate my 24p footage into 29.97 fps (w/proper pulldown frames), then take that 29.97 file to the post house for transfer to DigiBeta, etc. You can create a 29.97 fps DVD (or MiniDV tape or whatever) to test and make sure the 29.97 fps file is correct before taking it to the post house.

Wooden Camera

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

rebotnix Technologies

Metropolis Post

CineLab

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Tai Audio

Aerial Filmworks

Paralinx LLC

The Slider

Technodolly

Ritter Battery