1 reply to this topic

#1 Joe Taylor

Joe Taylor
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 397 posts
  • Other

Posted 21 June 2008 - 11:05 PM

I get the gist of what anamorphic video for 16.9, but how does one go about transfering their 35mm or 16mm film for anamorphic full screen release? For instance the footage I shot for my film "Dead Lonesome" exposed full 4-perf with the intention to crop it 1.85 both video and film release. The footage thus far has been transfered for letter-box.

To have that same 1.85 composition transfered as 1.85 anamorphic, how would that be done.

On the same note, I'm shooting some time-lapse with a Canon 20D. When I download my images for sequence in Final Cut Pro, how could I convert those still shots for anamorphic playback?

#2 David Mullen ASC

David Mullen ASC
  • Sustaining Members
  • 19769 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 21 June 2008 - 11:33 PM

16x9 "anamorphic" standard definition video is 1.78 : 1 full-screen on 16x9 TV sets.

So a 1.85 movie would have very small letterboxing on a 16x9 DVD, so small that many 16x9 TV sets barely show it.

On a 4x3 TV set, a 16x9 DVD should appear as a 1.78 letterboxed image, plus the additional letterbox that makes it 1.85 or 2.35, whatever. Assuming the DVD player is set-up correctly to output to a 4x3 TV set.

Generally you would do a transfer to 16x9 "anamorphic" SD videotape (Digital Betacam, let's say), or do a transfer to HD (which is 16x9 native, so not anamorphic) and make a downconversion to 16x9 anamorphic SD video. You'd letterbox the 16x9 recording to 1.85 if that's what you want.

But often you also make a 4x3 letterboxed tape master as well, and 4x3 pan & scan as well, depending on your market and deliverables requirement.

Abel Cine

FJS International, LLC

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Willys Widgets

Metropolis Post

Wooden Camera

Visual Products

Glidecam

Paralinx LLC

CineTape

Ritter Battery

rebotnix Technologies