5 replies to this topic

#1 Damien Bhatti

Damien Bhatti
  • Sustaining Members
  • 213 posts
  • Student
  • UK

Posted 24 June 2008 - 08:47 AM

This is some footage that I really like. I have been following this chap for awhile and I think he has a really natural feel for camera work. In terms of achieving shallow DOF like he does, is it all about having the aperture wide open and using ND's? That look works so well for his subjects, it really is fitting.

Pim's work

#2 David Rakoczy

David Rakoczy
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1579 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • USA

Posted 24 June 2008 - 09:46 AM

[quote name='Damien Bhatti' date='Jun 24 2008, 08:47 AM' post='238447']
In terms of achieving shallow DOF like he does, is it all about having the aperture wide open and using ND's?

Yes. The more you close down t8, 11 or 16 etc.. the more DOF you will have. The more you open up t2.8, 2, 1.4 etc... the less DOF you will have. You can use NDs to lessen the amount of light passing through the lens and 'open up'. Fast lenses are also a big help. This applies to 35mm, 16mm and 8mm.

#3 Damien Bhatti

Damien Bhatti
  • Sustaining Members
  • 213 posts
  • Student
  • UK

Posted 24 June 2008 - 11:53 AM

Yes. The more you close down t8, 11 or 16 etc.. the more DOF you will have. The more you open up t2.8, 2, 1.4 etc... the less DOF you will have. You can use NDs to lessen the amount of light passing through the lens and 'open up'. Fast lenses are also a big help. This applies to 35mm, 16mm and 8mm.

Do you think its possible in broad daylight to achieve this with ND?/ or would the amount of filter that you would have to put on start degrading the image?

#4 David Rakoczy

David Rakoczy
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1579 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • USA

Posted 24 June 2008 - 12:26 PM

Do you think its possible in broad daylight to achieve this with ND?/ or would the amount of filter that you would have to put on start degrading the image?

I (personally) do it every time. I'll run a Pola (-2 stops) and a ND9 (-3 stops).. I have run ND 18 and more.. to the point where you almost can't see what is in Frame.. you have to Frame with the Matte Box open to see.. then close and shoot.. this happens a lot when undercranking..

Filters are made to shoot through. Stack them... it doesn't matter if they are all NDs.. Softeners, Grads, Colors, Pola.. etc... use them. Stacking a bunch of Softeners can yield a very soft image.. but running a 85ND9 + ND9 + Pola + 1/2 Classic Soft can yield beautiful exposures/ Images. Use them to get where you want to be.

Edited by David Rakoczy, 24 June 2008 - 12:28 PM.

#5 David Rakoczy

David Rakoczy
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1579 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • USA

Posted 24 June 2008 - 12:35 PM

You can also affect DOF by using a Longer Lens.. i.e. 100mm, 250mm... 400mm etc.. Most of the footage you liked was Handheld so they were using (wider) lenses... with NDs and more...

Edited by David Rakoczy, 24 June 2008 - 12:35 PM.

#6 Damien Bhatti

Damien Bhatti
  • Sustaining Members
  • 213 posts
  • Student
  • UK

Posted 24 June 2008 - 01:28 PM

You can also affect DOF by using a Longer Lens.. i.e. 100mm, 250mm... 400mm etc.. Most of the footage you liked was Handheld so they were using (wider) lenses... with NDs and more...

Thanks David, I shall experiment :')

Metropolis Post

rebotnix Technologies

CineTape

Broadcast Solutions Inc

FJS International, LLC

Aerial Filmworks

Paralinx LLC

Tai Audio

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Abel Cine

Visual Products