#1 Fernando Getz

Fernando Getz
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Sao Paulo, brasil

Posted 25 June 2008 - 06:54 AM

Hi, everybody. I need to shoot some models walking down a 30ft catwalk for a beauty video. I'm shooting DVCam and was thinking to backlight the models with a couple of maxibrutes from each side and then use two 4k HMIs, one from 3/4 and the other one closer to the camera with 85 and diffusion as fill. how does that sound? I haven't done that much fashion and beauty, so I could use some pointers. Thanks

Edited by Fernando Getz, 25 June 2008 - 06:54 AM.

#2 Walter Graff

Walter Graff
  • Sustaining Members
  • 1334 posts
  • Other
  • New York City

Posted 25 June 2008 - 07:41 AM

There really is no way that is wrong here. What you propose works too. My only question involved depth of field. Do you want a deep depth of field in a cat walk or do you want to be able to focus on the one person in one spot while others walk in the distance in soft focus? Or do you want everything on the stage in focus and sharp? You can make that decision and use the appropriate amount of light. Overall the rim lighting will work for you nicely and the all around lighting will look great.

#3 Fernando Getz

Fernando Getz
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Sao Paulo, brasil

Posted 26 June 2008 - 06:02 AM

Well, I would like to have as shallow depth of field as possible, but as it works out, we are shooting in a studio with off white walls, and they want the catwalk lit and everything else fall off into darkness. So I figured I'd try to put a lot of light into the catwalk and try to flag it off the walls, closing the iris to get darker walls. The "beauty shot" would be at the end of the catwalk closer to camera, which I will light with two 4k HMIs with diffusion. What I'm a little worried about is the back and middle of the catwalk, which

*9*-9

#4 Fernando Getz

Fernando Getz
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Sao Paulo, brasil

Posted 26 June 2008 - 06:52 AM

Well, I would like to have as shallow depth of field as possible, but as it works out, we are shooting in a studio with off white walls, and they want the catwalk lit and everything else fall off into darkness. So I figured I'd try to put a lot of light into the catwalk and try to flag it off the walls, closing the iris to get darker walls. The "beauty shot" would be at the end of the catwalk closer to camera, which I will light with two 4k HMIs with diffusion. What I'm a little worried about is the back and middle of the catwalk, which I don't want to be too dark. The shallow depth of field I'll try to achieve by shooting from a distance with a tighter lens.

*9*-9

Edited by Fernando Getz, 26 June 2008 - 06:53 AM.

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

The Slider

Abel Cine

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Metropolis Post

Technodolly

Glidecam

Paralinx LLC

Opal

rebotnix Technologies

Rig Wheels Passport

Willys Widgets