#1 David A Smith

David A Smith

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Other

Posted 25 June 2008 - 08:33 PM

I recently did a music video - don't be to hard on me as I'm not a pro. I did the whole music video alone with no crew, no help at all. I did all the lighting, camera work, editing and simple set design

But my question is this, and I'm puzzled by it

At 38 seconds you will see a swinging light bulb in the picture and throughout the video.

The bulb was a 60 Watt RED incandescent bulb with a little blinker disc that I inserted into the socket. Actually there are two of these in the video - 2 red bulbs. and on top of this I used LEE red gels on most of the surrounding lights, so I would think this would help make the bulb more red (but that doesn't sound right does it)

The bulb showed up as Yellow and not red. I don't get it? I white balanced. Someone said it's the theory of luminescence, which i don't get.

Why would the bulbs show up yellow? Did the blinker make the color change, like a dimmer or intermittent fast dimmer on and off?

I shot this with a consumer 3ccd Panasonic $598 GS500 camcorder, so nothing fancy

Any suggestions or help on this would be appreciated. Thank you for your time. David

Here is the music video - note the bulb especially at 38 seconds swinging
Ice Nine Kills Music Video

#2 David Rakoczy

David Rakoczy
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1579 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • USA

Posted 25 June 2008 - 09:02 PM

Why would the bulbs show up yellow? - quote

So many variables... so little time.. in my opinion, you are lucky those globes appeared yellow. They give you 'color contras't. I would love them... accept them.. and be thankful they are there.

Edited by David Rakoczy, 25 June 2008 - 09:07 PM.

#3 Chris Keth

Chris Keth
  • Sustaining Members
  • 4427 posts
  • 1st Assistant Camera
  • Los Angeles

Posted 25 June 2008 - 10:33 PM

My bet would be a slightly odd color sensitivity of the camera combined with the overexposure of the bulb. If you really wanted it to be red, you should've overexposed it less.

Edited by Chris Keth, 25 June 2008 - 10:36 PM.

#4 Jonathan Bruno

Jonathan Bruno
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
  • Student
  • Orange, CA

Posted 27 June 2008 - 01:21 AM

Chris has a good point. I was going to say, it more than likely the overexposure of the center of the bulb and the fact that the blue chip in the camera is not getting any detail, so rather than white, it goes to that yellow colour.

I think you're lucky dude. Although, I couldn't bare to finish the video, the bulbs looked cool.

#5 Walter Graff

Walter Graff
  • Sustaining Members
  • 1334 posts
  • Other
  • New York City

Posted 27 June 2008 - 06:04 AM

Put an red gel in front of orange and and over expose it and you get yellow. Not your fault or anything technically incorrect. The exposure and the color of the 'colored' bulb overexposed made it yellow. Too much color in a camera that doesn't have much processing electronics behind it often makes for colors you never saw or color that dissapears, hence why even the Red fill lookes washed out.

#6 John Sprung

John Sprung
  • Sustaining Members
  • 4635 posts
  • Other

Posted 27 June 2008 - 12:53 PM

A light source in the shot gets way over exposed. Most likely, you maxed out the red channel, and no matter how red the light is, it still has enough energy in the green part of the spectrum to give you a significant amount of green, too. Mix red and green, you get yellow.

-- J.S.

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Wooden Camera

Willys Widgets

Aerial Filmworks

FJS International, LLC

Opal

Abel Cine

Technodolly

Tai Audio

Visual Products