#1 Evan Winter

Evan Winter
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 202 posts
  • Director
  • Los Angeles

Posted 28 June 2008 - 10:54 AM

Supposedly elements of the film were shot on the Red camera. I remember hearing the Red shot scenes were mostly F/X ones. Well, I couldn't tell. It pretty much all looked like film to me... The only scene that stood out in any way was the gunfight in the pharmacy. Seemed kinda edge-sharp-ish and a little digital but other than that I saw nothing that looked out of place. So, kudos to Red - your stuff looks like film when watched in a theater by Evan. ;)

Evan W.

#2 Tim Terner

Tim Terner
  • Sustaining Members
  • 340 posts
  • Producer
  • Prague, CZ

Posted 28 June 2008 - 10:57 AM

Hi Adam, apparently there was no Red footage that made the final cut. http://www.cinematog...showtopic=31815

#3 Max Jacoby

Max Jacoby
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2955 posts
  • Other

Posted 28 June 2008 - 10:58 AM

Check out this thread:

http://www.cinematog...showtopic=31815

Red material did not make it into the film.

#4 Dan Goulder

Dan Goulder
  • Sustaining Members
  • 1259 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 28 June 2008 - 10:59 AM

Supposedly elements of the film were shot on the Red camera. I remember hearing the Red shot scenes were mostly F/X ones. Well, I couldn't tell. It pretty much all looked like film to me... The only scene that stood out in any way was the gunfight in the pharmacy. Seemed kinda edge-sharp-ish and a little digital but other than that I saw nothing that looked out of place. So, kudos to Red - your stuff looks like film when watched in a theater by Evan. ;)

Evan W.

Sorry to disappoint Evan, but the producers of the film decided not to use any of the RED footage, afterall. A similar decision was recently made by Terence Malick and Emmanuel Lubiezki to ditch the RED footage shot on their new feature, as well.

#5 Evan Winter

Evan Winter
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 202 posts
  • Director
  • Los Angeles

Posted 28 June 2008 - 03:34 PM

Thanks for the replies. And I must admit that I was impressed that nothing stood out while watching the film. I didn't expect the Red footage to scream, 'HERE I AM!' but I thought I'd at least notice it in some spots. :)

Evan W.

#6 Peter Moretti

Peter Moretti
  • Sustaining Members
  • 306 posts
  • Other
  • Sherman Oaks, CA

Posted 29 June 2008 - 06:31 AM

Things that don't exist generally don't stand out. <_<

#7 Evan Winter

Evan Winter
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 202 posts
  • Director
  • Los Angeles

Posted 29 June 2008 - 05:19 PM

I'm still curious about the pharmacy shoot out scene. There were moments that felt like they could be digitally acquired. However, with all the post manipulation that this film would have gone through (especially in the action sequences) it shouldn't be surprising that parts felt a little digital.

#8 Brian Dzyak

Brian Dzyak
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1517 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Encino, California USA

Posted 29 June 2008 - 07:27 PM

I'm still curious about the pharmacy shoot out scene. There were moments that felt like they could be digitally acquired. However, with all the post manipulation that this film would have gone through (especially in the action sequences) it shouldn't be surprising that parts felt a little digital.

All film. :) The RED was on set periodically shooting off-angles or side-by-side, but the movie was shot on film, at least in Prague and Chicago.

Mitch is the one to speak with about colors and such, but the pharmacy was, as I understood it at the time, meant to feel a bit different (greenish?). But all film. Rest easy. :)

That said, the RED tests I saw and the filmout that Jon passed around on set all looked pretty incredible. If I had clients ready to take and deal with RED information, I would have no problems buying one for myself. But for the moment, the majority of work is still in HDCAM so it will take the influence of a "filmmaker" and/or marketing exec to decide to let Behind-the-Scenes to be shot at 4K for potential "in theater" use.

In any case, I just got back from seeing WANTED and enjoyed it thoroughly. :)

#9 Giovanni Speranza

Giovanni Speranza
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 19 July 2008 - 06:41 PM

I didn't like Wanted, a lot of noise, ugly colors.

#10 Nik Samal

Nik Samal
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • Other
  • UK

Posted 26 July 2008 - 06:23 PM

I didn't like Wanted, a lot of noise, ugly colors.

don't forget...the loom of fate!!!

Tai Audio

Visual Products

Metropolis Post

rebotnix Technologies

The Slider

Aerial Filmworks

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

CineLab

Opal

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Technodolly