2 replies to this topic

#1 Michel Hafner

Michel Hafner
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 300 posts
  • Other

Posted 29 June 2008 - 06:07 PM

For anyone interested in Bollywood: Sony has released (Saawariya (2007) on Blu Ray. And it looks fantastic. Obviously direct digital from the DI source this is a gorgeous disc. Unless you hate the film highly recommended.

#2 Jason Debus

Jason Debus
  • Sustaining Members
  • 311 posts
  • Student
  • Los Angeles, CA

Posted 30 June 2008 - 12:43 PM

The trailer for this film caught my eye so I thought I would give it a spin on DVD. I'm not that familar with Bollywood films so this seemed like a good one to try.

It was very difficult to get through for me, perhaps the music (it's musical) was too far from my taste. I spent most of the movie studying the cinematography, which is stunning at first glance. As time goes on it begins to feel more and more like a stage play and less a cinematic experience. I couldn't put my finger on why the cinematography lost it's magic for me.

The impression I was left with is that it's a good example of studio lighting looking like studio lighting.

#3 Michel Hafner

Michel Hafner
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 300 posts
  • Other

Posted 01 July 2008 - 04:50 AM

Of coure it's stagey. The film opens with a shot of the city from above which is intentionally and very obviously a painting or CGI creation, signalling that what's coming is stylised, unrealistic and artificial. at least on the surface level.
The same story was filmed by Visconti (Le notti bianche). A comparison should be interesting. Another film in the same vein is Beineix' "Lune dans le caniveau". Both films got heavy flak for their 'style over substance' approach. And both films are HD demo disc dream material (although Beineix' is not released n HD yet).
And although Saawariya is technically refined Bollywood, it's still Bollywood. Song and dance is included and important.

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Technodolly

Willys Widgets

Metropolis Post

Abel Cine

The Slider

Visual Products

Tai Audio

Glidecam

CineTape

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

CineLab