Photo

Sci-Fi Lighting for High Definition (XDCam F335)

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Todd Whalen

Todd Whalen

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Student

Posted 29 June 2008 - 10:16 PM

Hello, I am a student at Vancouver Film School in pre-production on a High Definition short film. I am seeking any extra helpful hints or tricks in the area of lighting for this format and filming style.

The look we are going for is like "Minority Report". Strong backlights, lots of blue/white/silver colours, blooming highlights, de-saturated colour.

I am aware of White Pro Mist filters and/or Bleach Bypass after effects to help create this, and with that in mind what should I consider when designing lighting setups?

We're shooting on the Sony XDCam F335 shooting at 1080progressive 23.976fps with 1/48th shutter speed.

Any ideas? Thanks a lot.

#2 Ratheesh Ravindran

Ratheesh Ravindran
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Kolkata,India

Posted 03 August 2008 - 08:19 AM

Hi,
Look is something we achieve through the combination of lighting,sets,costumes and post.Here,what I have understood from your query,is that I would suggest you to do sufficient tests regarding how much highlights F335 can handle and all the other necessary latitude tests(black levels,saturation,color temp: etc).Once you are done with these,then you will be able to figure out the extremes at which you can blast a back light or punch in contrasty lighting and how much color can be added while shooting.Anyhow the look has to be augmented to a greater extent in the production design and costumes too.The rest you can always tweak in the post.Happy shooting...

Ratheesh Ravindran.

Edited by Ratheesh Ravindran, 03 August 2008 - 08:21 AM.

Tai Audio

CineLab

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Metropolis Post

Ritter Battery

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Paralinx LLC

Willys Widgets

rebotnix Technologies

FJS International, LLC

Abel Cine

The Slider