Paul Bruening

(deceased)

• Sustaining Members
  • 2858 posts
  • Producer
  • Oxford, Mississippi

Posted 01 July 2008 - 03:16 PM

Hey fellas,

I tried doing a search but it glitches. So, I'll ask what has probably been asked a few times, here, before. How does the H1's 1920x1080 hold up to a good film recorder like the Arrilaser for a 35mm blow-up? What comes through well and what falls off in the resulting image? I'm hoping to hear from someone who has actually seen some samples.

#2 Adrian Sierkowski

Adrian Sierkowski
  • Sustaining Members
  • 7118 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles, Ca

Posted 01 July 2008 - 06:41 PM

What comes through and what falls off will depend on what's actually in this original image.
Good prints have been made from the DVX, though that was for documentary (Iraq in Fragments), though not what 35mm film would look like.
The F900 is only a 1920x1080 chip, and it can look good recorded out if it's properly shot.

Point being stuff that's properly shot can be film-out'd well. Stuff that looks like crap will look like crap no matter what you're outputting to.

Do a test! A film out ain't cheap and I'd strongly suggest you see for yourself at the facility and with the camera, a test of something at least resembling what you plan to shoot or have already shot.

#3 Gary McClurg

Gary McClurg
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 304 posts
  • Producer

Posted 01 July 2008 - 07:36 PM

Not sure if the Signal was filmed out or not... but shot with the H1.... I think its on DVD now...

I'll see if I can find a link... but a guy named Robert Sanders has a nice looking trailer called The Blackout... shot again on the H1... not sure if he plans on doing a film out... or did a test...

Do a google search and see if you come up with anything...

Here is a link to Sanders website...

http://www.starwaypi...filmmakers.html

Edited by Gary McClurg, 01 July 2008 - 07:37 PM.

#4 John Sprung

John Sprung
  • Sustaining Members
  • 4635 posts
  • Other

Posted 02 July 2008 - 12:26 PM

How does the H1's 1920x1080 hold up ....

The chips are actually 1440 x 1080, which is what the original HDCam tape format recorded. Bear in mind that at 1/3", you're diffraction limited if you try to go deeper than f/4. In theory, it should be capable of looking very good. A side by side test with the early F900's would be interesting to try.

-- J.S.

#5 Paul Bruening

Paul Bruening

(deceased)

• Sustaining Members
  • 2858 posts
  • Producer
  • Oxford, Mississippi

Posted 02 July 2008 - 02:27 PM

The chips are actually 1440 x 1080, which is what the original HDCam tape format recorded. Bear in mind that at 1/3", you're diffraction limited if you try to go deeper than f/4. In theory, it should be capable of looking very good. A side by side test with the early F900's would be interesting to try.

-- J.S.

Thanks for the answer, John. I've read about the anamorphic image sites converting to square pixels thing and am OK with that. Though, I can't quite understand why they didn't just make an adequate set of sensors for the target resolution. I must be getting a little old. Some of the tech talk on the topic gives me a head ache.

Would you mind explaining the diffraction/f4 issue a little more? How unwise is it to try to shoot wide open?

#6 John Sprung

John Sprung
  • Sustaining Members
  • 4635 posts
  • Other

Posted 02 July 2008 - 03:07 PM

It's actually fine to shoot wide open. It's when you stop down deeper than f/4 -- smaller holes -- that diffraction off the aperture degrades your resolution significantly. A three chip optical block limits you to f/1.4 on the shallow end, so that's your usable range for full resolution. You can cheat on the deep end instead of hanging diffusion.

Here's a nice explanation:

http://www.cambridge...photography.htm

-- J.S.

#7 Paul Bruening

Paul Bruening

(deceased)

• Sustaining Members
  • 2858 posts
  • Producer
  • Oxford, Mississippi

Posted 02 July 2008 - 07:13 PM

Thanks John. That's a fine article.

#8 Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes
  • Sustaining Members
  • 11943 posts
  • Other

Posted 03 July 2008 - 03:06 AM

Hi,

We are all aware that the XL-H1 is interlaced-only, right? It's the single most disappointing thing about it, because otherwise it's the sharpest HDV camera head out there.

The default lens is a bit shoddy.

I have some grabs from an XL-H1 if anyone's bothered.

P

#9 Paul Bruening

Paul Bruening

(deceased)

• Sustaining Members
  • 2858 posts
  • Producer
  • Oxford, Mississippi

Posted 03 July 2008 - 02:33 PM

Hi,

We are all aware that the XL-H1 is interlaced-only, right? It's the single most disappointing thing about it, because otherwise it's the sharpest HDV camera head out there.

The default lens is a bit shoddy.

I have some grabs from an XL-H1 if anyone's bothered.

P

How does the interlace (24F) impact when making single frames at 24fps for outing to film?

I read on the lesser DV threads that the 16X manual and even the 14X manual lenses work and look just fine regardless of Canon's admonishments to the contrary. Manual is good. I like my 14X on my XLs. The auto-servo lens is a useless piece of shite (Well, I like it on my homemade, mini-western dolly because of the image stabilizer).

Yes, please. Some grabs would be fabs (Oh, yes. I had to).

I'm asking all this because I can't get out of broke. I may knuckle down and shoot my next no/low budg feature in DV or borrowed HDV. Damn, it hurt to say that.

#10 Gary McClurg

Gary McClurg
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 304 posts
  • Producer

Posted 05 July 2008 - 09:42 AM

I'm asking all this because I can't get out of broke. I may knuckle down and shoot my next no/low budg feature in DV or borrowed HDV. Damn, it hurt to say that.

This did get a small release.. not sure if it was filmed out or not... I think it was... now out on DVD... or coming soon...

http://www.apple.com...olia/thesignal/

I need to update my quicktime... so just in case its not that... here is a link to the trailer on youtube...

Edited by Gary McClurg, 05 July 2008 - 09:47 AM.

#11 will griffith

will griffith
  • Guests

Posted 08 July 2008 - 09:18 AM

I read on the lesser DV threads that the 16X manual and even the 14X manual lenses work and look just fine regardless of Canon's admonishments to the contrary.

The 16x works great and we use that in addition to the 6x wide, which BTW is incredibly sharp and great quality glass for the price.

The 16x produces an almost organic image wide open. Rather close to s16mm when using a custom preset such as "Panavision" that can be found on the web.

Attached is an example of the 16x.

Attached Images

• 16xlenssmall.jpg

#12 Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes
  • Sustaining Members
  • 11943 posts
  • Other

Posted 08 July 2008 - 11:08 AM

Hi Will,

I'd very much like to see any other stills you have of the 16x lens, particularly stuff involving specular highlights. The servo lenses deal quite poorly, with pronounced blue aberration.

I've mounted some uncompressed TIFF test stills from the XL-H1s here:

http://www.1159produ...xl_h1_grabs.zip

Anyone who's interested, please grab them as they're quite big and I can't leave them there forever.

P

#13 will griffith

will griffith
  • Guests

Posted 09 July 2008 - 08:32 AM

I'd very much like to see any other stills you have of the 16x lens, particularly stuff involving specular highlights. The servo lenses deal quite poorly, with pronounced blue aberration.

In certain conditions the 16x displays blue aberration. I guess that s expected with
a $1100usd lens. I have yet to see much problem with highlights though.

I'll see if I can dig up some more examples.

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Technodolly

Ritter Battery

CineTape

Abel Cine

Glidecam

Opal

Tai Audio

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

CineLab

The Slider

Aerial Filmworks