LA-LA land anamorphics rental?

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 Glen Alexander

Glen Alexander
  • Guests

Posted 02 July 2008 - 12:51 PM

I want to avoid using PV, I will not answer why.

Clairmont do anamorphics but getting responses from their rental department is SLOW, they have no online reservations or confirmations.

Birns and Sawyer do not the carry complete range, they do not have the 250mm or 1.4Extension and are charging a BOMB for the 25mm.

or as alternative what is the cost to shoot Vistavision at 2.1 and optically squeeze down for final contact print?

Edited by Glen Alexander, 02 July 2008 - 12:53 PM.

#2 John Holland

John Holland
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2248 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • London England

Posted 02 July 2008 - 01:01 PM

Yes Glen shoot VistaVision so many cameras you will spoilt for choice !!!!!!! . Now get into the real world .

#3 Glen Alexander

Glen Alexander
  • Guests

Posted 02 July 2008 - 01:05 PM

Yes Glen shoot VistaVision so many cameras you will spoilt for choice !!!!!!! . Now get into the real world .

:lol:

If you email, Paramount, they are renting Vistavision gear. Wouldn't think Paramount would be dishing out pieces of junk that didn't work.

What about anamorphic rental?

Edited by Glen Alexander, 02 July 2008 - 01:07 PM.

#4 Glen Alexander

Glen Alexander
  • Guests

Posted 02 July 2008 - 01:14 PM

I do have in my notes to drop by the two places you mentioned before in the camera Junkyard thread. If I need to, I will Frankenstein what I need if it doesn't exist. :lol:

#5 John Holland

John Holland
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2248 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • London England

Posted 02 July 2008 - 01:28 PM

dont understand your last post but Clairmont have Hawks [ the best] and in the land of Panavision ? but you dont say why you have a problem with them ?

#6 Stuart Brereton

Stuart Brereton
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3070 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 02 July 2008 - 02:49 PM

Your choice, obviously, but to refuse to use PV anamorphics, arguably the best in the world, seems a little self-defeating.

#7 Glen Alexander

Glen Alexander
  • Guests

Posted 02 July 2008 - 03:13 PM

dont understand your last post but Clairmont have Hawks [ the best] and in the land of Panavision ? but you dont say why you have a problem with them ?

John,

Clairmont have Hawks and others good anamorphics but like most rental companies, they are probably bombarded with emails about renting gear.

I'm not bringing my crew half away around the planet to find out they don't any gear or haven't modified it to my specifications. Best serviced gear, I would tend to agree, good or even average reservations and confirmations, absolutely NOT. I emailed Denny Clairmont and told him this. Since Clairmont were personally reccommended by Peter at the Vantage I would try them. I'm not impressed at all so far to be honest.

This is MY film, not PV, I will not be forced to put any logos in it by anyone. If I decide to have any logos, it will be because the company has been a partner. Not just because I used their gear.

So if takes bringing in a fresh set of Hawks from Weiden (yes I visited them, very nice folks), going by Lloyd's Camera, or buying an old Mitchell and Frankenstein-ing then that's what it takes.

#8 David Mullen ASC

David Mullen ASC
  • Sustaining Members
  • 19761 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 02 July 2008 - 03:24 PM

So this is an MOS project, hence why you'd consider VistaVision?

And B&S is charging too much for a 25mm lens but you'd consider an expensive format like VistaVision instead? And isn't 25mm rather super wide-angle in the anamorphic world? Are you sure you need a lens that wide? That's like a 12mm lens in Super-35 in terms of horizontal view.

And you're making decisions about equipment based on avoiding logos at the end of end titles??? You see logos for Fuji and Kodak as well, and labs. Seems a bit silly to make that a criteria for equipment rental.

We could probably answer your questions better if you told us the type of project and the general budget, and release format.

Also, being a long-time resident here, I don't really like my home being referred to as "LA-LA Land" in the post title.

#9 Leo Anthony Vale

Leo Anthony Vale
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2010 posts
  • Other
  • Pittsburgh PA

Posted 02 July 2008 - 03:47 PM

And B&S is charging too much for a 25mm lens but you'd consider an expensive format like VistaVision instead?

And you're making decisions about equipment based on avoiding logos at the end of end titles???

VistaVision has a very attractive logo.

Posted Image

& shooting with a blimped rack/over camera on a Venti® sized gear head can be quite character building.

Posted Image

#10 Bruce Taylor

Bruce Taylor
  • Sustaining Members
  • 482 posts
  • Other
  • Los Angeles

Posted 02 July 2008 - 05:38 PM

& shooting with a blimped rack/over camera on a VentiĀ® sized gear head can be quite character building.

Posted Image

I must say, Eva Marie Saint never looked lovelier than handling that beast! I couldn't agree more Leo, the VistaVision logo is sweet.

I thought I might mention as Glen is looking for anamorphics here in the great city of Los Angeles (I like it, anyway)... that I have some fairly nice ones to rent here in town. They are pre-cursors to the Hawks, the Lomos. For all practical purposes they are new, made in about 1990. And they come in that lovely OCT19 Russian mount that fits right onto my modernized Kinor 35H, a Moviecam SuperAmerica clone. Best of all, if you don't have a grip to spend in the camera dept, they are cheap (read that as very inexpensive). Check out my site at www.indi35.com .

Test drives are encouraged, and hey! I'm even a nice guy.

Best regards,

Bruce Taylor

#11 Ruairi Robinson

Ruairi Robinson
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 279 posts
  • Director
  • Los Angeles

Posted 02 July 2008 - 06:31 PM

And B&S is charging too much for a 25mm lens but you'd consider an expensive format like VistaVision instead? And isn't 25mm rather super wide-angle in the anamorphic world? Are you sure you need a lens that wide? That's like a 12mm lens in Super-35 in terms of horizontal view.

And you're making decisions about equipment based on avoiding logos at the end of end titles??? You see logos for Fuji and Kodak as well, and labs. Seems a bit silly to make that a criteria for equipment rental.

We could probably answer your questions better if you told us the type of project and the general budget, and release format.

Also, being a long-time resident here, I don't really like my home being referred to as "LA-LA Land" in the post title.

Are you really offended by the name Lalaland? I kind of thought of it as a bit of silly fun. I say it all the time, and nobody has got offended before...!

#12 David Mullen ASC

David Mullen ASC
  • Sustaining Members
  • 19761 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 02 July 2008 - 07:11 PM

Are you really offended by the name Lalaland? I kind of thought of it as a bit of silly fun. I say it all the time, and nobody has got offended before...!

Depends on the attitude behind it, if it preceeds a complaining post about dealing with LA companies, etc. that's different than using it as a term of affection, so to speak.

#13 Richard Vialet

Richard Vialet
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 133 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Hollywood, CA

Posted 02 July 2008 - 07:24 PM

Slow Motion Inc. up in the Valley (i think) has their Elite anamorphics as well don't they?

That can be another option

#14 Brad Grimmett

Brad Grimmett
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2660 posts
  • Steadicam Operator
  • Los Angeles

Posted 03 July 2008 - 03:38 AM

I'm not offended by it, but I instantly know that anyone that uses that term doesn't live in Los Angeles. It's just not something you'd hear a local say. So if you don't mind being labeled a "tourist" everywhere you go, then keep using the term.

#15 Glen Alexander

Glen Alexander
  • Guests

Posted 03 July 2008 - 01:49 PM

I'm not offended by it, but I instantly know that anyone that uses that term doesn't live in Los Angeles. It's just not something you'd hear a local say. So if you don't mind being labeled a "tourist" everywhere you go, then keep using the term.

I lived in Redondo Beach, Santa Monica for nearly 7 years. So I can call it what ever I want. Yes I can from LAX to anywhere without using a highway and get there in half the time. I will never live there again, just visiting for a few weeks to do some filming and visit some people.

Edited by Glen Alexander, 03 July 2008 - 01:50 PM.

#16 Paul Bruening

Paul Bruening

(deceased)

• Sustaining Members
  • 2858 posts
  • Producer
  • Oxford, Mississippi

Posted 03 July 2008 - 01:57 PM

I live in BFE, Mississippi. So, an acute, "sense of place," self esteem is not available to me. I use the term, "Hell-A", locally, and am nearly beloved for it.

#17 Glen Alexander

Glen Alexander
  • Guests

Posted 03 July 2008 - 02:03 PM

Depends on the attitude behind it, if it preceeds a complaining post about dealing with LA companies, etc. that's different than using it as a term of affection, so to speak.

You see it as complaining that's your .02

I see your response as typical LA, smile while you get stabbed in the back.

Everyone in LA is afraid to say the truth about anyone or anything because their 2nd cousins' dogwalker knows a pizza delivery guy who used to be a PA for a low budget TV show.

LA is like the Hollywood sign, when you can see through the smog, it looks very nice on the hills, the two weeks a year you can see it from more than 2 miles away. If you ever got close to the sign and had a look it is covered with graffitti.

#18 Glen Alexander

Glen Alexander
  • Guests

Posted 03 July 2008 - 02:27 PM

Wow, had bad flashbacks from being stuck on the 405/10 parking lot.... sorry had to rant a bit :lol:

I'm aware of logo requirements of Kodak and Fuji but who said I would be using either of their stocks? I won't. I have made special arrangements with a mfg for some specialized stock, I am quite happy and proud to have display their logo, they have gone well over and above normal corporate practices.

There will absolutely be no logos for the sake of logos. If Dolby insists, well then Dobly won't be used. There were plenty great movies before digital surround ear-blowing sound.

For anamorphics, 25mm really doesn't have the FOV ~90deg?, I'd really like about a 19 or 20mm but will end up using a subreflector to increase the FOV.

Since this stock blows away anything from Kodak or Fuji, I'd like to go 'old school' film workflow and skip DI if possible. The DI required would be hideously expensive to maintain resolution.

Edited by Glen Alexander, 03 July 2008 - 02:29 PM.

#19 Glen Alexander

Glen Alexander
  • Guests

Posted 03 July 2008 - 02:30 PM

. Check out my site at www.indi35.com .

Test drives are encouraged, and hey! I'm even a nice guy.

Best regards,

Bruce Taylor

Thanks, I'll have a wonder over.

#20 Glen Alexander

Glen Alexander
  • Guests

Posted 03 July 2008 - 02:39 PM

VistaVision has a very attractive logo.

Posted Image

& shooting with a blimped rack/over camera on a VentiĀ® sized gear head can be quite character building.

Posted Image

Actually Paramount has been really great, friendly and open about VV, performance, accessories, etc. There is another thread about VV workflow.

I didn't ask if they had a new girl who comes with the camera. ha ha.

http://www.widescree...een/wingvv2.htm

There is a small version way down on the page, that doesn't require Hercules as a camera operator. :lol:

Edited by Glen Alexander, 03 July 2008 - 02:42 PM.

Tai Audio

Paralinx LLC

Abel Cine

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Aerial Filmworks

CineTape

Wooden Camera

Rig Wheels Passport

The Slider

FJS International, LLC

Opal

Metropolis Post