#1 Thomas Chaves

Thomas Chaves
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
  • Grip
  • NY, NY

Posted 03 July 2008 - 03:23 PM

I am shooting a short film at the top of the Williamsburg Bridge tower in NYC. I will be using only one small (tungsten balanced) light bulb for one particular shot. I was wondering if any of you had any recommendations on a small portable generator that could be rented/purchased in the next few days.

Thanks.

Thomas Chaves

#2 Adrian Sierkowski

Adrian Sierkowski
  • Sustaining Members
  • 7118 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles, Ca

Posted 03 July 2008 - 03:30 PM

for 100W I'd say you can get any put-put from your local Homedepot/lowes tool rental.

#3 Matthew Parnell

Matthew Parnell
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 285 posts
  • Electrician
  • Brisbane, Australia

Posted 04 July 2008 - 07:13 PM

Id look into a battery inverter kit. Might cost a bit more, but they do come in handy.

#4 JD Hartman

JD Hartman
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1690 posts
  • Gaffer
  • Edison, N.J. U.S.A.

Posted 07 July 2008 - 11:52 AM

Go the simple route: sun gun; battery belt. Even a 200w HMI can be run off a battery belt.

#5 Christopher Santucci

Christopher Santucci
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 124 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Buffalo, New York

Posted 08 July 2008 - 08:55 PM

I am shooting a short film at the top of the Williamsburg Bridge tower in NYC. I will be using only one small (tungsten balanced) light bulb for one particular shot. I was wondering if any of you had any recommendations on a small portable generator that could be rented/purchased in the next few days.

Thanks.

Thomas Chaves

You're using the small light bulb as a practical?

Look into 12 volt lamps and bring a battery.

#6 Ira Ratner

Ira Ratner
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 558 posts
  • Other
  • Coral Springs, Florida

Posted 09 July 2008 - 06:48 PM

No reason to fire up a generator for just one bulb, as said. But if you ever decide to invest in one, you need a QUIET one.

The Honda EU1000, or the equivalent Onan, or the equivalent Yamaha.

Very quiet, but you would still want to move it away from any mikes. Main point, you want an INVERTER type generator with a DB rating of 57 or below. Just running a small pull light or two and not max load, it's less DBs.

These style generators are small and easy to handle (they literally COME with a handle to move them), and you can stick it in your closet. Most important besides the quiet--reliable and built like a rock.

#7 Robert Tagliaferri

Robert Tagliaferri
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 13 July 2008 - 12:05 AM

You can power a single bulb off of a portable car battery source like this thing:
http://www.canadiant...fromSearch=true

I've used it to power a Diva400 for a shot we did on Yonge St. in Toronto where we didn't have permission to run a generator at that time of night. It should power a 100W bulb for about 3 hours.

#8 Tim O'Connor

Tim O'Connor
  • Sustaining Members
  • 860 posts
  • Other
  • Boston, Massachusetts

Posted 13 July 2008 - 01:55 AM

No reason to fire up a generator for just one bulb, as said. But if you ever decide to invest in one, you need a QUIET one.

Very quiet, but you would still want to move it away from any mikes. Main point, you want an INVERTER type generator with a DB rating of 57 or below. Just running a small pull light or two and not max load, it's less DBs.

These style generators are small and easy to handle (they literally COME with a handle to move them), and you can stick it in your closet. Most important besides the quiet--reliable and built like a rock.

You could stick it in your closet. That's a good way to describe its portability but I keep anything with a gasoline tank outside the house.

#9 JD Hartman

JD Hartman
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1690 posts
  • Gaffer
  • Edison, N.J. U.S.A.

Posted 13 July 2008 - 07:29 AM

If you compare the ONAN Inverter units to the Honda, you'll see that ONAN has them beat. The full load output is higher and they are quieter than a comparable Honda. They also have been in the small engine and generator business longer.

KIPOR or any of the Chinese imports can't compare to either the Honda, ONAN or Yamaha. I know a small rental firm that bought both Honda and Kipor. They said the Kipor were noisy and junk.

Edited by JD Hartman, 13 July 2008 - 07:29 AM.

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Glidecam

Tai Audio

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Ritter Battery

CineLab

CineTape

rebotnix Technologies

FJS International, LLC

Aerial Filmworks

Rig Wheels Passport

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS