#1 Nick Norton

Nick Norton
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 248 posts
  • Student
  • Chicago

Posted 06 July 2008 - 05:11 AM

In an effort to decide which 16mm camera to own, i have realized i don't know poop about lenses/lens mounts.

On account of i have a 35mm slr still camera, and plan to use that to learn/experiment with until i can get my own 16mm... I'm looking to find which mount offers the widest selection of available lenses. (Thinking of buying nice 35mm lenses to shoot photos with, then transfer the lenses to the 16mm cine once i get it)

Affordability is a huge concern... but because the lens of the camera is so important, i want to make sure my camera is going to offer me the focal lengths and apertures i need. (Speaking of which, wide angle/zoom lenses are most important with large apertures around 2.0)

Do many 16mm cameras offer mounts for 35mm lenses?

If not, what is the most common mount/ the mount that offers affordable wide angle/zoom lenses?

Thanks for any help-

Nicholas

#2 Andrew Koch

Andrew Koch
  • Sustaining Members
  • 243 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Burbank, California

Posted 06 July 2008 - 07:50 AM

Are you planning on getting a regular 16 or Super 16mm. I'm not sure about regular, but with super, The PL mount will give the most options in terms of really good glass. With the Planar (PL) mount, you can use either Super 16 or 35mm motion picture lenses. A wide angle zoom lens with an aperture of 2 that is of good quality is going to be pretty expensive. I really like the Canon 8-64mm T2.5 Zoom. It is fairly wide and not too slow, and it doesn't breath that much, but I believe it costs somewhere between 7 and 10 thousand, but I could be way off on this number. It could be more or less, but I know it's not cheap. If you end up doing regular 16mm, you could do a bayonet mount. This will limit you to older lenses and none of the current 35mm lenses will work on it, but zeiss makes a great 10-100mm T2 Lens for regular 16mm in bayonet mount. It even does macro. It is pretty sharp, but it has some drawbacks. Unless you are shooting in Macro, the minimum focus is something like 4ft (not terrible, but at times can be annoying for certain shots) and the lens also breaths quite a bit.

I personally am not a fan using 35mm still lenses adapted for 16mm. One problem with this is that it is hard to find 35mm lenses that are wide enough. Sure, an 18mm lens is wide in 35mm, but on a 16mm camera, that is not very wide. A 9.5mm lens designed for 35mm that is of good quality is going to be very expensive. Another problem with still lenses is that they tend to breath more than cine lenses. They don't have gears for follow focus, so you would need to modify them to work with certain cameras. The focus scale is also much smaller because they weren't designed for an AC to pull focus from the side.

Good glass is not cheap and can often cost more than your camera. But it makes all the difference. You could rent your lenses. If you decide to go that route, make sure your camera has a PL mount.

#3 David Auner aac

David Auner aac
  • Sustaining Members
  • 1117 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 07 July 2008 - 10:31 AM

Are you planning on getting a regular 16 or Super 16mm. I'm not sure about regular, but with super, The PL mount will give the most options in terms of really good glass. With the Planar (PL) mount, you can use either Super 16 or 35mm motion picture lenses.

Hi Nick,

as far as recent pro lenses go, Arri Bayonet or Arri PL will offer the largest range of lenses. But if you're into older pro glass Arri Standard is an interesting option too. And if you're really thinking affordability get something that takes C mount lenses. There won't be much cheaper glass and some of it is really good too!
I own an Eclair NPR which is currently sitting in a shop being converted into S16 with one re-centered PL mount and a standard C mount for the best of both world. The C mount will be used for a C to Nikon F adapter, C mount glass for R16 filming and who knows what. When using 35mm stills glass be sure to remember that wide-angles will be a problem. The most wide angle for 35mm still you'll get without going to fisheye lenses will be around 15mm which is above what a normal lens is for R16 and S16.

Hi Andrew,

are referring to the Zeiss Planar lens when saying Planar? In case you are referring to the meaning of PL, this stands Positive Lock.

Cheers, Dave

Paralinx LLC

Technodolly

Opal

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Willys Widgets

rebotnix Technologies

Abel Cine

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

The Slider

Glidecam

CineTape