Robert Brown

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Camera Operator

Posted 07 July 2008 - 09:17 PM

Hi everyone,

I've been using a Nizo 136XL for the past 6 months or so and its treated me pretty well. Most of the film came back looking good and it hasn't broken down on me. But a friend of mine just sold me his Nizo Professional for a very good deal I couldn't pass up. He gave me 2 brands of meter batteries with the camera: WeinCell MRB625 and Exell PHOTO Z625PX 1.4V Zinc Air. He advised me to ask around as to which brand I should use. I have never switched out a meter battery, as I used the stock batteries with the 136XL.

Anyone know? Also, where do I install the meter batteries? I've looked through the manual, found nothing.. Near the spot in the handle where I put the AA's, I found a couple things that can be unscrewed, but didn't want to mess with anything until I know for sure.....

Lastly, Anyone know where I can find an original Braun Nizo Professional leather case? I'd like to be able to fit this camera in my Tamrac bag along with my DCR VX-1000 and my 136XL, and not have to lug around 2 bags like I will be until I sort this out...

I look forward to learning and also helping out as much as I am able in the future.

Thanks,
Rob

#2 Michael Lehnert

Michael Lehnert
  • Sustaining Members
  • 1086 posts
  • Other
  • London, UK / Basel, CH

Posted 07 July 2008 - 09:30 PM

The Nizo professional is the only Nizo big-bodied camera that does not require any additional power supply, i.e. those Weincells or other zinc button batteries, to power the TTL exposure meter. The lightmeter is indeed powered through the regular battery pack inserted in the handgrip.
So no need for those cells. Read more about that in my upcoming Super 8 Today article on this camera (shameless promotional plug ends B) )

As far as a mint Nizo leather case is concerned... those do have the nasty habit of deteriorating over time: the leather wasn't the best, but it was definitely better than those used by Bauer (puke). Your best way - apart from the usual lucky coincidence on eBay - would be to go for German resellers such as Super 8 Shop and Super 8 Arena.
A sizeable share of registered long-time users of this forum have made good purchases there and reported high satisfaction.

Hope that helped a bit. Cheers,

-Michael

#3 Robert Brown

Robert Brown

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Camera Operator

Posted 07 July 2008 - 09:36 PM

Thank you for the prompt reply Michael. But if I were to use the meter batteries, how would I do so?

#4 Michael Lehnert

Michael Lehnert
  • Sustaining Members
  • 1086 posts
  • Other
  • London, UK / Basel, CH

Posted 07 July 2008 - 10:12 PM

Not sure that I understand your question as there is no battery chamber for those in the Nizo pro. For all other big-bodied cameras (incl. the Nizo 801 and 801 macro), you have a battery chamber where to insert the cells for the lightmeter. That's missing with the pro. Also: you need those cells for powering the lightmeters on those Nizo. The pro just works without.
As I said, not sure if that answers your question :huh: . Feel free to be more precise :) .

-ML

#5 Robert Brown

Robert Brown

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Camera Operator

Posted 07 July 2008 - 10:30 PM

Michael,

I got you. I am just confused because my friend sent me a letter with the camera saying that he used the wrong kind of meter batteries at first and the exposure was a bit off. I can't figure out what he means exactly because he left for Europe for a month... Maybe just a misunderstanding on my end...

Thanks again

#6 Michael Lehnert

Michael Lehnert
  • Sustaining Members
  • 1086 posts
  • Other
  • London, UK / Basel, CH

Posted 08 July 2008 - 08:29 AM

Does he own other Nizo big-bodied cameras (Nizo 561 or 801) and might he have confused his experience with those with the Nizo pro? Is he maybe referring to using rechargeables in the battery pack rather than batteries?
Just fishing around here to help out?!

Abel Cine

FJS International, LLC

Rig Wheels Passport

CineLab

Technodolly

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Visual Products

CineTape

Ritter Battery

Aerial Filmworks