#1 Mitch Lusas

Mitch Lusas
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts
  • Director
  • Los Angeles, CA

Posted 08 July 2008 - 10:50 PM

Hey Guys, quick question: I got into a new Film Training Program. It costs a little bit of money and takes up a lot of time, which isn't extremely bad, but there are two weeks of very basic training (6 days and 9 hours a day). I love film, but I'm not the biggest fan of classroom environments. The stories so far (two days in) have been good, but I have not really learned a lot of new information, and the rest of the two weeks seems to be more of the same. When I first signed up I thought it was going to be more intensive training detailing with specific legal and business issues involved in the industry. It's more of an intro to the film industry.

Basically for the first two weeks, we spend a day looking at each field in the industry. Having working on sets and plunging into severe debt for film school, I'm not the most excited about this. However, you have to go through all of these classes in order to get to Part II, where I would be taking a two-week class with Doug Hart as we examine a 35mm camera. Doug is a great and knowledge guy, and it seems like a lot of fun.

But I'm not sure if this would help me get into the Union (Local 600), which is my current goal. Don't get me wrong, I love hard work, especially on sets. But I'm not sure if the financial/time commitments are going to pay off. Any suggestions? What would you do?

#2 Tim O'Connor

Tim O'Connor
  • Sustaining Members
  • 860 posts
  • Other
  • Boston, Massachusetts

Posted 10 July 2008 - 12:13 PM

Hey Guys, quick question: I got into a new Film Training Program. It costs a little bit of money and takes up a lot of time, which isn't extremely bad, but there are two weeks of very basic training (6 days and 9 hours a day). I love film, but I'm not the biggest fan of classroom environments. The stories so far (two days in) have been good, but I have not really learned a lot of new information, and the rest of the two weeks seems to be more of the same. When I first signed up I thought it was going to be more intensive training detailing with specific legal and business issues involved in the industry. It's more of an intro to the film industry.

Basically for the first two weeks, we spend a day looking at each field in the industry. Having working on sets and plunging into severe debt for film school, I'm not the most excited about this. However, you have to go through all of these classes in order to get to Part II, where I would be taking a two-week class with Doug Hart as we examine a 35mm camera. Doug is a great and knowledge guy, and it seems like a lot of fun.

But I'm not sure if this would help me get into the Union (Local 600), which is my current goal. Don't get me wrong, I love hard work, especially on sets. But I'm not sure if the financial/time commitments are going to pay off. Any suggestions? What would you do?

Can you call your Local office and talk to them about how they consider this program on a resume?

Also, how long do you have before you won't be able to get a refund? What if you blow off the classroom stuff and go to the sessions you want? You
paid for it, right. If part II is a separate program not included in this tuition, then ask the program administrators if you can be admitted without part 1
based on your experience and some demonstration of knowledge or proficiency in the field. If they're decent, they ought to give you some consideration on that.

#3 Mitch Lusas

Mitch Lusas
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts
  • Director
  • Los Angeles, CA

Posted 10 July 2008 - 07:12 PM

Hey Tim, yeah I asked about taking a test to pass the first phase but they said that's not how the program is designed. I've asked about the refund and I am awaiting a response now. It's hard because I know it's not for me, but I feel like I'm letting down the instructors and I can't stand letting someone down.

Thanks for the reply, I'm just going to try to get out of it right now.

#4 Tim O'Connor

Tim O'Connor
  • Sustaining Members
  • 860 posts
  • Other
  • Boston, Massachusetts

Posted 11 July 2008 - 02:43 AM

Hey Tim, yeah I asked about taking a test to pass the first phase but they said that's not how the program is designed. I've asked about the refund and I am awaiting a response now. It's hard because I know it's not for me, but I feel like I'm letting down the instructors and I can't stand letting someone down.

Thanks for the reply, I'm just going to try to get out of it right now.

Don't be too hard on yourself. Most educational programs offer people the chance to opt out if they decide it's not for them. You're not letting anybody down by wanting to avoid paying again for material you've learned elsewhere through tuition or working for free on sets.

Does your program paperwork/receipt have refund information? Find out before they tell you five days from now that you're at that point two days past
the withdrawal/refund point.

#5 Mitch Lusas

Mitch Lusas
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts
  • Director
  • Los Angeles, CA

Posted 18 July 2008 - 03:11 PM

Hey Tim,

Thanks so much for your insight. I ended up getting out of the program with a partial refund. Well worth it though, because the time spent was not justified by what I was re-learning. Thanks again, I realize I can't be hard on myself.

FJS International, LLC

Abel Cine

Wooden Camera

Tai Audio

Ritter Battery

rebotnix Technologies

Opal

Aerial Filmworks

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Visual Products

The Slider

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS