Matt Bizer
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Albuquerque, New Mexico

Posted 10 July 2008 - 04:56 PM

Hello all,

I wanted to post a bit on my newest short I have been shooting out in New Orleans area for a talented writer director Joey Mallary.

We have an incredibly talented crew yet are more short handed than any project I have been on to date. 7 people and 2 actors later the film is coming together to really be a nice little piece. The story is about a young man who builds a robot to sooth the loss of his girlfriend only to find it is no replacement for a real human.

We picked up the cluttered and tiny trailer package the other days and it looks like I will be lighitng this whole project with a couple 2k fresnels, about 5 red heads, and a bunch of par cans... other than that we have a box full of practical bulbs and such and a vast selection of Gel, ND, and diffusion. I am a little worried about he lack of light with this camera for all the night exteriors but so far we are surviving even with the loss of stops from the correction over the 2ks.

I am shooting pretty wide open to shallow the depth of field and we are fogging quite a bit to diffuse the shots and create the dusty dirty feel the director wants. Most of the film is shot in long roaming masters which we are blocking as to not have to cut in unless extremely necessary. Wish me Luck!
After a few hard days work here are a few uncorrected stills taken from our daily captures.

Enjoy and please give me feedback!

Posted Image
Night in the workshop lit with a 200 watt practical soft white in the work lamp with 216 and 1/2 CTO then Redheads with full blue cross lighting the exterior windows with 216 covering them.
Posted Image
pretty much every light in the truck with CTB
Posted Image
workshop day lit with 2ks through windows hard and a softened fill in the back of room with a bit of green.
Posted Image
Posted Image
stats to come
Posted Image
stats to come

#2 Adrian Sierkowski

Adrian Sierkowski
  • Sustaining Members
  • 7118 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles, Ca

Posted 10 July 2008 - 05:01 PM

So far looks pretty good. I'm a big fan of the first shot you have up there.

#3 pascal Boyer

pascal Boyer
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts
  • 2nd Assistant Camera
  • Paris/France

Posted 27 July 2008 - 07:48 AM

Hello Matt,
i absolutely love the first frame ! Which camera did you use ? Did you shoot with the tiffen filter "fog" ,or did you achieved that on post?
cheers

#4 Jim Exton

Jim Exton
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
  • Director

Posted 27 July 2008 - 06:30 PM

I love all of those shots, especially the first two. Really good looking stuff.

#5 Matt Bizer

Matt Bizer
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Albuquerque, New Mexico

Posted 27 August 2008 - 02:52 PM

Here is a link to a little rough teaser the director cut together... it is uncorrected, aspect ratio is all gone out the window, and it is a little off but have a look and let me know what ya think initially.

http://vids.myspace....ideoID=41582823

-matt

Tai Audio

FJS International, LLC

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

CineTape

Aerial Filmworks

Glidecam

rebotnix Technologies

Rig Wheels Passport

Paralinx LLC