Photo

Argh, Kodak changed all of their links, AGAIN.

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Alessandro Machi

Alessandro Machi
  • Sustaining Members
  • 3318 posts
  • Other
  • California

Posted 12 July 2008 - 01:37 PM

Good news, bad news.

Kodak changed all of their Super links again, however at least now they have names that actually match the link.

#2 Giles Perkins

Giles Perkins
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts

Posted 13 July 2008 - 06:22 AM

Thanks for the tip off - we've changed all the links on http://www.onsuper8.org - again!

#3 Michael Lehnert

Michael Lehnert
  • Sustaining Members
  • 1086 posts
  • Other
  • London, UK / Basel, CH

Posted 14 July 2008 - 08:16 AM

Thanks for the info Alex! The last batch of links remained stable for the past 6 months, so I guess by December, we can expect the web department at Kodak being busy again with a change-over. Maybe they will revert to alphanumerical gibberish. How knows?

Hey, you are no longer that often around here, Alex. That's a loss for this place! I hope everything is cool and alright with you!

Best wishes,

-Michael

#4 John Hyde

John Hyde
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 151 posts
  • Camera Operator

Posted 24 July 2008 - 12:00 AM

ALEX! Man, its been a while. Your push for analog BetaSP over anything digital is missed.

I have a new format that should merit your support. What about BetaMAX? It could have special properties that actually make the resolution superior to anything HD! Do you suppose we could blow up a super 8 BetaMax transfer to 35mm for superior results to anything the human eye has ever seen? Why not run some tests and discuss the results with Santo! :)

#5 Alessandro Machi

Alessandro Machi
  • Sustaining Members
  • 3318 posts
  • Other
  • California

Posted 24 July 2008 - 01:40 AM

Actually, if you bumped Betacam sp to film it would look superior to bumping mini-dv to film. The reason mini-dv is favored is it is a better deal pound per pound and easier to move the camera around for handheld shots.

#6 Nate Downes

Nate Downes
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1638 posts
  • Florida, USA

Posted 24 July 2008 - 09:05 AM

I've seen Beta on film, and Alex is quite correct, if all things are equal (camera, chips, fps, etc) then Betacam SP will look better on film-out.

#7 John Hyde

John Hyde
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 151 posts
  • Camera Operator

Posted 24 July 2008 - 11:13 AM

But wait! Lets just take a moment to admire the sleek design and innovative features of BetaMax from the 70's! We have the single hi resolution composite in and out, professional piano key control system (with features like pause, record and play), beautifully crafted wood side-panel design (likely a particle board laminate material), large chrome colored plastic control knobs (unknown purpose), and, sophisticated power button with LED indicator. Those were the days!

This kind of innovation puts analog BetaMax light years ahead of 10 bit uncompressed hard drive or digital betacam. Now is the ideal time to build a complete Betamax edit suite for high-end professionals.

Alex, take it from here...

Posted Image

#8 Alessandro Machi

Alessandro Machi
  • Sustaining Members
  • 3318 posts
  • Other
  • California

Posted 24 July 2008 - 11:19 AM

Thanks for the info Alex! The last batch of links remained stable for the past 6 months, so I guess by December, we can expect the web department at Kodak being busy again with a change-over. Maybe they will revert to alphanumerical gibberish. How knows?

Hey, you are no longer that often around here, Alex. That's a loss for this place! I hope everything is cool and alright with you!

Best wishes,

-Michael

The difference this time is the web addresses actually have names we can identify rather than a series of random letters and numbers. So it is possible that they will remain stable. I can verify that Kodak loses a significant amount of hits because of these changes.

Well, not because of the changes, but because they just let the old links die rather than redirect them to the newer addresses. I can track hits on my website and Kodak used to run just ahead of another site that has my websites listed.

I checked recently and saw that Kodak was a hundred hits behind and that was what made me check. Sadly, bean counters can use lower hits as some kind of bell weather when it is actually caused by Kodak NOT REDIRECTING their old links to the new links.

Well, the old links do take the user to a Kodak general page, but I couldn't figure out how to get to the Super-8 page from the old link, so Kodak may not suffer a direct loss, but everyone on their links page will probably get less hits.

I used to have a great contact at Kodak who would fix prior broken links whenever I informed him of them. But he has not responded to my past few emails over the last years time. If anyone has a solid Kodak lead who is responsive to very infrequent emails (I don't abuse the source by over emailing) please PM me.

#9 Alessandro Machi

Alessandro Machi
  • Sustaining Members
  • 3318 posts
  • Other
  • California

Posted 24 July 2008 - 05:24 PM

Well, I never used betamax from the 70's and early 80's. However betamax 1 speed was considered very good quality. I have used betacam sp since the mid 90's. IMG_3876_TR_1.jpg Betacam sp is the best archival analog video format ever made because it became more and more affordable as time went on while offering terrific video quality as well.

I have no idea what your purpose is in talking about the technology below. You're not somehow equating it with the machine I use above, are you? The betacam sp machine above probably cost more new than what you have spent in your lifetime on all the equipment you own. The betacam sp machine pictured above has provided me with an incredible education regarding video attributes including, color saturation, hue, and density, knowledge that I still use to this day. Based on years of using the betacam sp format I can pick up apart anything shot on digital or analog video and tell you how close to a solid picture the image is. I credit my expertise in this area to 10 years worth of color correction.

But wait! Lets just take a moment to admire the sleek design and innovative features of BetaMax from the 70's! We have the single hi resolution composite in and out, professional piano key control system (with features like pause, record and play), beautifully crafted wood side-panel design (likely a particle board laminate material), large chrome colored plastic control knobs (unknown purpose), and, sophisticated power button with LED indicator. Those were the days!

This kind of innovation puts analog BetaMax light years ahead of 10 bit uncompressed hard drive or digital betacam. Now is the ideal time to build a complete Betamax edit suite for high-end professionals.

Alex, take it from here...

Posted Image

#10 John Hyde

John Hyde
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 151 posts
  • Camera Operator

Posted 25 July 2008 - 12:36 AM

Alex,

I know you will not like to hear this... like everyone else, I have moved to digital formats long ago.

I only thought it might be interesting to see you spend your savings on construction of a completely analog Betamax edit suite for all of us to marvel at. Think of the entertainment factor as you discuss the various phases of your pointless project here on the forum! SWEEEEEET! :P

#11 Alessandro Machi

Alessandro Machi
  • Sustaining Members
  • 3318 posts
  • Other
  • California

Posted 25 July 2008 - 01:56 PM

Alex,

I know you will not like to hear this... like everyone else, I have moved to digital formats long ago.

I only thought it might be interesting to see you spend your savings on construction of a completely analog Betamax edit suite for all of us to marvel at. Think of the entertainment factor as you discuss the various phases of your pointless project here on the forum! SWEEEEEET! :P

I think you've showcased yourself as a dum dum. I won't bury the knife any further, I'll let you do that.

#12 John Hyde

John Hyde
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 151 posts
  • Camera Operator

Posted 25 July 2008 - 08:49 PM

Alex -

Dude, is this how you treat your friends? I thought you were cooler than that!

Now, its time to be the man and build the BEST Betamax suite ever! Prove all the fools of the world wrong with your analog theories once and for all. Since i'm still your bud, i'll be rooting for ya. ;)

#13 Alessandro Machi

Alessandro Machi
  • Sustaining Members
  • 3318 posts
  • Other
  • California

Posted 25 July 2008 - 08:53 PM

High quality analog origination, digital destination.

Glidecam

Opal

Visual Products

Technodolly

Abel Cine

Paralinx LLC

Broadcast Solutions Inc

rebotnix Technologies

The Slider

CineLab

Rig Wheels Passport

Tai Audio