New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Student
  • Belgium/Lebanon

Posted 13 July 2008 - 05:02 AM

hello,

i've been using the DVX100BE, and everything was going pretty well on the set.
the monitor was giving very clean result.
once the rushes captured, we looked into the monitor related to the editing table ( CPU,dv player,monitor...) and we found a very diffused noise,like little particules moving in the image, unseen from far but when you get close to the screen you see them.

any one can help.? could this be a propblem of a setup in the scene files? or a shutter problem(1/50.2, and sometimes shutter off)? but i'm sure it's not a gain problem because i put all gains on 0db so that if anyone touches the gain button nothing would happen so i'm sure it's not gain.
please any help would great.

#2 Andrew McCarrick

Andrew McCarrick
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 196 posts
  • Other
  • Atlantic City, New Jersey, USA

Posted 13 July 2008 - 08:37 AM

What kind of lighting situation was there? Low Light? High contrast scene? I ask because the latitude on the DVX100B isn't the greatest and if you were in that situation for the first time with the camera (dark and light areas), you might not have seen it before. Is it all the footage that has this or only dark areas? The monitor on the DVX100B is actually a lower resolution then the camera itself and it's only 3.5 inches big (unless you had another LCD). Also what kind of cables are using to get to the monitor in the edit room?

Edited by Andrew McCarrick, 13 July 2008 - 08:38 AM.

#3 Paul Seif

Paul Seif

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Student
  • Belgium/Lebanon

Posted 14 July 2008 - 01:45 AM

well the lighting situation was very good i had 4.0 of apperture sometimes 5.6. i admit we had some contrasted scenes though. the noise is on all footage not only dark areas. and the camera's LCD was not my reference , i had a cathodic tube monitor 9 inch . and the connections in the editing room are 1394 from camera to deck and BNC from deck to monitor. normal connections i think.

i had another project where it was night shoot and full open and ...... and we had also the same noise.

#4 Andrew McCarrick

Andrew McCarrick
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 196 posts
  • Other

Posted 14 July 2008 - 04:32 AM

well the lighting situation was very good i had 4.0 of apperture sometimes 5.6. i admit we had some contrasted scenes though. the noise is on all footage not only dark areas. and the camera's LCD was not my reference , i had a cathodic tube monitor 9 inch . and the connections in the editing room are 1394 from camera to deck and BNC from deck to monitor. normal connections i think.

i had another project where it was night shoot and full open and ...... and we had also the same noise.

What kind of deck? MiniDV? I would assume they're analog (RCA with BNC adapters) connections then... would it be composite, or componet? I've never seen a MiniDV deck with SDI connections, but that's just in my experience.

#5 Paul Seif

Paul Seif

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Student
  • Belgium/Lebanon

Posted 15 July 2008 - 03:44 AM

the deck is Sony DSR 1500 i think it's composite as you said, RCA-BNC adapters, but here is not the problem because we have lot of projects captured on this deck and they don't have the same problem, i just need to know if it's a Camera head problem, a problem with the scene file settings or a shutter problem, because i 'm using the camera on sunday and i don't want same problems .

please reply. thank you.

#6 Andrew McCarrick

Andrew McCarrick
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 196 posts
  • Other

Posted 19 July 2008 - 10:57 AM

the deck is Sony DSR 1500 i think it's composite as you said, RCA-BNC adapters, but here is not the problem because we have lot of projects captured on this deck and they don't have the same problem, i just need to know if it's a Camera head problem, a problem with the scene file settings or a shutter problem, because i 'm using the camera on sunday and i don't want same problems .

please reply. thank you.

hmm... then I don't know, anynody else have any ideas?

#7 Bernhard Zitz

Bernhard Zitz
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 342 posts
  • Other
  • Z├╝rich, Switzerland

Posted 20 July 2008 - 05:11 AM

just need to know if it's a Camera head problem, a problem with the scene file settings or a shutter problem, because i 'm using the camera on sunday and i don't want same problems .

Are you recording on camera or on external deck?

I don't think it's the recording head of the camera. Tape problems manifest in a very digital way, manly drops, crazy squares blinking all over the image etc... Tape or recording errors wouldn't give that regular noise you described.

Depending on the scene file setting the DVX-100 can get noisy. I'd set everything to 0, more sharpness makes noise more visible. The gamma settings have a lot influence on the noise in the dark parts of the image. The cinelike settings give some noise in bad lightning or dark areas.

Maybe the problem is the monitor of your editing suite. How is that monitor connected to the deck, computer etc? Do have the same noise on the computer screen?

#8 Paul Seif

Paul Seif

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Student
  • Belgium/Lebanon

Posted 21 July 2008 - 05:30 AM

well thank you all for the help really.

the new project started, my gamma is cinelike and i'm shootin progressive with gold diffusion fx1/2 filter, the detail coring is set to +7( as they say in the manual it reduces noise generated by enhanced details) and every thing else is set to 0. some times i go for -5 on Mped and +7 on chroma.

on the monitor i have on the set there is no problem ( it's a cathodic monitor) so let's hope and see the result on capture.

Cheers from beirut

CineLab

FJS International, LLC

Glidecam

Paralinx LLC

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Aerial Filmworks

Abel Cine

Rig Wheels Passport

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Technodolly

Wooden Camera