Mihai Nicolau
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
  • Other
  • Bucharest, Romania

Posted 13 July 2008 - 08:29 AM

Hello.

I'm planning on buying a tripod system (legs and head) but i'm quite new to this thing and i don't want to make a bad investment.

First of all it should be able to easily hold up an Sony EX1 with adapter, zoom lens, rails, mattebox, maybe some V-mount batts and a monitor and maybe even a heavier rig in the future....I don't know how much the whole system weighs as I don't have the full system yet but maybe you guys have a better ideea.

I've been looking at the Sachtler heads and the DV 8 SB seems like a good decision. Is it ?

What makes a good tripod head ? What should i be looking for.
Is the Sachtler head a fluid one ? I read on another forum that a head from Miller was a fluid one but the drag controls were friction type ones....how does that work ? What's the difference between this type and a true fluid one?

What about counterbalance ? Does the Sachtler head have this option? What's the system used to counterbalance, by sliding the plate or some other way ?

After buying such a head is there anything else that I should consider buying ? The Sachtler webpage is filled with accesories for every product which say nothing relevant to me :unsure: .

What legs should I pair up the head with ? Do I need to be aware of any other problems when looking at what to buy or any expensive leg is OK ?

Finally a Zacuto baseplate for example fits on top of the plate of the tripod head right ?

thanks in advance!

Ritter Battery

CineTape

Tai Audio

Willys Widgets

FJS International, LLC

Wooden Camera

Opal

Aerial Filmworks

The Slider

Paralinx LLC

CineLab