Help needed on all fronts;

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Rodrigo Martins

Rodrigo Martins
  • Guests

Posted 14 July 2008 - 11:11 AM

Dear all, after quite some time working as video director in an auditorium (DVDing concerts, conferences and all that mumble) is now time to step out of the mixer and leave the remote controlled CCDs. I want my independence! And on the track to independent film making, the help of my good friends of cinematography.com will be much appreciated.
I have chosen FCP Studio 2 and Shake 4.1, and am about to buy a MacPro 2x 3.0 GHz Quad with LaCie Biggest 2.5TB.

Now I do lack knowledge on this type of equipment and I find my self on a tigth budget, so my concerns are as follow:

Display ? I am considering apple 23", but some say it has it's issues... Does it compensate to give the extra cash for a Eizo (full HD)? Maybe even Dell?
Camera ? Everyone tells me that XDcam Ex1 is the way, but it uses long GOPs, and I've read in one of your forums that it is rather slow to obey? I was pretty inclined to purchase Panny HVX200.
My gold is obviously freedom... I want the golden looks of CSI Miami, the possibility to get the desaturation of Matrix, and most of all the ability to achieve the vivid colors of Asian cinematography. Please share your thougths of pros and cons between these 2 (bare in mind that I am in Portugal a Pal country).

Finally, but still of major interest is the video card... Here my friends, I really can't seem to find the courage to decide... Aja Kona 3 or Black Magic Multibridge eclipse?
Does any of them allow me to get uncompressed material out of the cameras? Witch camera? Would it be 4:4:4?

Thanks a million for any opinions... :blink:

#2 Andrew McCarrick

Andrew McCarrick
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 196 posts
  • Other
  • Atlantic City, New Jersey, USA

Posted 14 July 2008 - 11:17 AM

Display ? I am considering apple 23", but some say it has it's issues... Does it compensate to give the extra cash for a Eizo (full HD)? Maybe even Dell?

Well I can say that both Apple and Dell's displays are made by Phillips... the only difference would be firmware used to control them.

#3 Rodrigo Martins

Rodrigo Martins
  • Guests

Posted 14 July 2008 - 11:51 AM

Well I can say that both Apple and Dell's displays are made by Phillips... the only difference would be firmware used to control them.

Thank you Andrew,

So I guess the difference is to Eizo.
Considering apple lower price, if nothing astonishing comes out of Eizo, I think I stick to Apple.

#4 Serge Teulon

Serge Teulon
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 757 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • London UK

Posted 14 July 2008 - 12:26 PM

Camera ? Everyone tells me that XDcam Ex1 is the way, but it uses long GOPs, and I've read in one of your forums that it is rather slow to obey? I was pretty inclined to purchase Panny HVX200.
My gold is obviously freedom... I want the golden looks of CSI Miami, the possibility to get the desaturation of Matrix, and most of all the ability to achieve the vivid colors of Asian cinematography. Please share your thougths of pros and cons between these 2 (bare in mind that I am in Portugal a Pal country).

I can vouch for the HVX200 as a really good camera that renders excellent results. I'm not so sure on the EX1.
These level of cameras don't normally give you an in depth alternative to manipulate the matrix. They tend to start at the DSR level.

Com o sol maravilhoso na tuga has de sempre coseguir o dourado!!

#5 Adrian Sierkowski

Adrian Sierkowski
  • Sustaining Members
  • 7117 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles, Ca

Posted 14 July 2008 - 12:26 PM

For camera I'd go EX1. It's a newer system, and from what I've seen looks damned good (better than HVX IMHO). The longer record times and cheaper media is also a boon.
I'd not worry about latency in the long GoP on that system. The camera chips are really 1080, unlike the HVXs and 1/2" as opposed to 1/3" giving a bit better low light performance and more DoF control than the HVX naively. Both cameras are a beast to hand-hold, the ex1 a bit more than the HVX. Still it's where I'm resting my money later on this yr.

#6 Rodrigo Martins

Rodrigo Martins
  • Guests

Posted 14 July 2008 - 05:41 PM

Hei Serge,
Thank you for the tip...

About that portuguese sunny weather any time you come near let me know I'll make sure you get a good turistic reperage of Porto...

cheers

#7 Rodrigo Martins

Rodrigo Martins
  • Guests

Posted 14 July 2008 - 05:48 PM

For camera I'd go EX1. It's a newer system, and from what I've seen looks damned good (better than HVX IMHO). The longer record times and cheaper media is also a boon.
I'd not worry about latency in the long GoP on that system. The camera chips are really 1080, unlike the HVXs and 1/2" as opposed to 1/3" giving a bit better low light performance and more DoF control than the HVX naively. Both cameras are a beast to hand-hold, the ex1 a bit more than the HVX. Still it's where I'm resting my money later on this yr.

Thank you Adrian,
Yes, people tell me Sony would be a good choice... But isn't it true that Panny works better with FCP? About that record system, no doubt that P2 is extremely expensive... The DOF control does not worry me because I am going to buy a redrock m2 or some other adapter. But do you know if Sony is capable of real 1080p in Pal sys?

cheers

#8 Adrian Sierkowski

Adrian Sierkowski
  • Sustaining Members
  • 7117 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles, Ca

Posted 14 July 2008 - 07:19 PM

All that is true of the Sony. You have to go through their software, AFAIK now, to transcode for FCP and need Version 6.0.3 IIRC. 6.0.4, though, should support it natively.

Look into the Letus as opposed to the red-rock, less light loss (1/2 stop as opposed to 2 stops) or the Sony EX3 which offers interchangeable lenses, but as of yet, no PL hard mount.

#9 Rodrigo Martins

Rodrigo Martins
  • Guests

Posted 15 July 2008 - 05:47 AM

All that is true of the Sony. You have to go through their software, AFAIK now, to transcode for FCP and need Version 6.0.3 IIRC. 6.0.4, though, should support it natively.

Look into the Letus as opposed to the red-rock, less light loss (1/2 stop as opposed to 2 stops) or the Sony EX3 which offers interchangeable lenses, but as of yet, no PL hard mount.

Letus you say... good, I will have that in mind. Thank you.

#10 Serge Teulon

Serge Teulon
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 757 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • London UK

Posted 15 July 2008 - 05:51 AM

Being an alfacinha I tend to go to Lisbon, as family and friends are there but If I do venture up to you I will certainly let you know.

Good luck with your choice of camera!

#11 Jamie Lewis

Jamie Lewis
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 174 posts
  • Other

Posted 16 July 2008 - 08:11 AM

Get your BASE computer through Apple. Get ALL your aftermarket parts from Macsales.com (ram, hard drives, etc). Great site and RIDICULOUSLY cheap. I've used them a great deal and their products have never failed me. For monitors go with LG and DO NOT over pay for any Apple monitor. You can get monitors for 25-50% less that easily trump it in specifications and performance.

I would say hold out on buying Shake 4 as there are rumblings of a new version coming down the pipeline.

#12 Rodrigo Martins

Rodrigo Martins
  • Guests

Posted 16 July 2008 - 09:20 AM

Get your BASE computer through Apple. Get ALL your aftermarket parts from Macsales.com (ram, hard drives, etc). Great site and RIDICULOUSLY cheap. I've used them a great deal and their products have never failed me. For monitors go with LG and DO NOT over pay for any Apple monitor. You can get monitors for 25-50% less that easily trump it in specifications and performance.

I would say hold out on buying Shake 4 as there are rumblings of a new version coming down the pipeline.

Thank you Jamie.
I will check that store. But will they ship to Portugal?
About Shake 4, didn't apple stop all development on that software? Even if a new version comes out, I am betting it won?t be for 399$.

#13 Jamie Lewis

Jamie Lewis
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 174 posts
  • Other

Posted 16 July 2008 - 09:40 AM

Thank you Jamie.
I will check that store. But will they ship to Portugal?
About Shake 4, didn't apple stop all development on that software? Even if a new version comes out, I am betting it won?t be for 399$.

Don't know about shipping and I believe, last I heard, Apple was working on a new version of Shake. Price, I wouldn't have a clue.

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Abel Cine

Rig Wheels Passport

Aerial Filmworks

Technodolly

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Visual Products

Wooden Camera

Paralinx LLC

Broadcast Solutions Inc

The Slider

Opal