Help needed on all fronts;

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Rodrigo Martins

Rodrigo Martins
  • Guests

Posted 14 July 2008 - 11:16 AM

Dear all, after quite some time working as video director in an auditorium (DVDing concerts, conferences and all that mumble) is now time to step out of the mixer and leave the remote controlled CCDs. I want my independence! And on the track to independent film making, the help of my good friends of cinematography.com will be much appreciated.
I have chosen FCP Studio 2 and Shake 4.1, and am about to buy a MacPro 2x 3.0 GHz Quad with LaCie Biggest 2.5TB.

Now I do lack knowledge on this type of equipment and I find my self on a tigth budget, so my concerns are as follow:

Display ? I am considering apple 23", but some say it has it's issues... Does it compensate to give the extra cash for a Eizo (full HD)? Maybe even Dell?
Camera ? Everyone tells me that XDcam Ex1 is the way, but it uses long GOPs, and I've read in one of your forums that it is rather slow to obey? I was pretty inclined to purchase Panny HVX200.
My gold is obviously freedom... I want the golden looks of CSI Miami, the possibility to get the desaturation of Matrix, and most of all the ability to achieve the vivid colors of Asian cinematography. Please share your thougths of pros and cons between these 2 (bare in mind that I am in Portugal a Pal country).

Finally, but still of major interest is the video card... Here my friends, I really can't seem to find the courage to decide... Aja Kona 3 or Black Magic Multibridge eclipse?
Does any of them allow me to get uncompressed material out of the cameras? Witch camera? Would it be 4:4:4?

Thanks a million for any opinions...

FJS International, LLC

The Slider

Ritter Battery

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Aerial Filmworks

Visual Products

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Opal

Wooden Camera

Abel Cine

Glidecam