5 replies to this topic

#1 Michael Lehnert

Michael Lehnert
  • Sustaining Members
  • 1086 posts
  • Other
  • London, UK / Basel, CH

Posted 15 July 2008 - 03:44 PM

Those close to the Kubrick estate might have followed the project of bringing some of Stanley's private correspondence and letters into the public realm in order to demystify his persona as well as put his character right for the public.

The Telegraph has now published some selected extracts in print and online starting with Stanley Kubrick's studio work (not his preceding "independent" years of working).

You can find a hyperlink here that leads you to this.

There is also a context piece and various interviews, including with Christiane as head of the estate available here.

I hope this is of interest for some. Maybe a few here will recognise the situational resemblance between their problems on a job or in private and to those Stanley Kubrick had.

-Michael

#2 John Holland

John Holland
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2248 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • London England

Posted 15 July 2008 - 05:27 PM

Just watched a doco called "Stanley Kubricks Boxes " on More 4 . Very interesting He had thousands of boxes of full of just about everthing he did and things he wanted to do . They have now been donated to a Media Dept at a London Uni .

#3 Michael Lehnert

Michael Lehnert
  • Sustaining Members
  • 1086 posts
  • Other
  • London, UK / Basel, CH

Posted 15 July 2008 - 05:55 PM

I hope the docos are well made without the usual myth-making manic OCB genius supremo artist spiel on Kubrick's persona. That's sooo strive in Continental docos (like on French-German tv channel ARTE), it's almost supernaturally silly.

I am completely missing out on what is shown in the Channel4/Film4/More4 season on SK.
I reverted to Basic 5 UK channels to keep my "low debt structure" (cf other thread), just at the time The Four announced they would fill the tube with Kubrick stuff.

Quite undoubtedly very unfortunate timing from my side.

#4 Tim Carroll

Tim Carroll
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2165 posts
  • Other
  • Chicago, Illinois

Posted 15 July 2008 - 09:51 PM

Those close to the Kubrick estate might have followed the project of bringing some of Stanley's private correspondence and letters into the public realm in order to demystify his persona as well as put his character right for the public.

-Michael

Michael,

Thanks for sharing this, I found the letters quite interesting. Always been a huge Kubrick fan.

Best,
-Tim

#5 Damien Bhatti

Damien Bhatti
  • Sustaining Members
  • 213 posts
  • Student
  • UK

Posted 17 July 2008 - 04:52 AM

Just watched a doco called "Stanley Kubricks Boxes " on More 4 . Very interesting He had thousands of boxes of full of just about everthing he did and things he wanted to do . They have now been donated to a Media Dept at a London Uni .

It was a very interesting program. His attention to detail was obsessive. A funny part of the documentary is when they talked about his love of stationary, and his massive collection of it, and when they showed Kubrick's local Ryman stationary shop. It's fascinating to think that Kubrick would walk down there and peruse the pens and pay only with cash, as opposed signatures and credit cards, to avoid embarrassing conversations with people about his films. I dont suppose you caught the short film he made afterwards? Again very interesting, you could see from certain shots and the overall feel that it was Kubrick's work.

#6 Michael Lehnert

Michael Lehnert
  • Sustaining Members
  • 1086 posts
  • Other
  • London, UK / Basel, CH

Posted 18 July 2008 - 11:57 AM

Here is a hyperlink for the documentary mentioned above:

CLICK ME

Visual Products

Metropolis Post

Rig Wheels Passport