New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Camera Operator
  • India

Posted 15 July 2008 - 10:17 PM

hey guys,
please help me finding a good cinematography school or college in GERMAN, if possible of english medium.
i am new to this place & don't know anything abt here. i hv completed ma graduatioin in mass communication, looking to do a master's degree in camera work & lighting or some one or two year diplome in same.

please suggest ..................

thanks
Jass

#2 Warwick Hempleman

Warwick Hempleman
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts
  • Industry Rep
  • Germany

Posted 17 July 2008 - 04:34 PM

Hi Jass,

Are you looking for a school or program located in Germany, or one taught in the German language? There are several schools and programs of varying quality here in Germany, and as far as I know they are also all taught in German.

Warwick Hempleman

#3 jaskaran mann

jaskaran mann

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Camera Operator
  • India

Posted 17 July 2008 - 09:58 PM

Hi Jass,

Are you looking for a school or program located in Germany, or one taught in the German language? There are several schools and programs of varying quality here in Germany, and as far as I know they are also all taught in German.

Warwick Hempleman

thanks a lot warwick, actually i will be coming there in german in 4 months, by than i'll learn basics of germany, but i'll be of great help if ii can find or suggest some program of an year or two taught in english. i have working experience of 3 years in an Indian news channel,CNN-IBN as a cameraperson. but m interested in learning in-depth cinematography.

jass

#4 Brian Dzyak

Brian Dzyak
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1517 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Encino, California USA

Posted 18 July 2008 - 07:19 AM

hey guys,
please help me finding a good cinematography school or college in GERMAN, if possible of english medium.
i am new to this place & don't know anything abt here. i hv completed ma graduatioin in mass communication, looking to do a master's degree in camera work & lighting or some one or two year diplome in same.

please suggest ..................

thanks
Jass

Jass,

The best thing you can do is contact each school in Germany directly and let them know what you would like.

There is a full list of schools available at www.whatireallywanttodo.com. Click on the FILMSCHOOLS link on the top of the page and it will take you to the worldwide listings where you can find GERMANY with 22 schools for filmmaking listed there.

Good luck and please let everyone here know what you find out.

Thanks!

Brian

#5 Warwick Hempleman

Warwick Hempleman
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts
  • Industry Rep
  • Germany

Posted 18 July 2008 - 03:48 PM

Brian, that's a great tip.

However to Jass' request, all the schools listed there offer instruction only in German, and about half of them are vocational-technical programs for technicians in TV studios. The schools here are more geared to prepping people for work in the domestic marketplace than really turning out world-class shooters.

If you're not limited by visa restrictions, you may want to investigate programs in Poland and the Czech Republic as well.

As to the language, Jass, in four months your German will be about on a par with my Hindi, unless you have an astounding gift for languages. German features three genders and four cases and after 20 years here still offers me new ways to embarass myself on a nearly daily basis. Look up and enjoy Mark Twain's "On the Awful German Language". H

Where will you be in Germany?

Best wishes,

Warwick Hempleman

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Opal

Tai Audio

Rig Wheels Passport

Glidecam

The Slider

Aerial Filmworks

Visual Products

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS