• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Matthew W. Phillips

Matthew W. Phillips
  • Sustaining Members
  • 1792 posts
  • Other

Posted 16 July 2008 - 11:40 PM

I just got back from a prescreening of the movie "Young Americans" which was produced by Topher Grace. He also starred in the movie along with Anna Faris, Michelle Tractenberg, and Dan Fogler. The movie is, for some weird reason, titled "Kids in America" on IMDB.

The movie ended at roughly an hour and a half. The basic plot of the movie is that Matt Franklin (Topher Grace), an MIT graduate, is not doing anything with his life after graduation. Most of his high school peers turned out to be wealthy and successful already. He works at Suncoast movie store in the mall. He seems to be content with this until he meets his high school crush, Tori. She ends up coming into Suncoast one day and he pretends that he is just another customer instead of admitting he works there. He claims to work for Goldman-Sachs. Anyways, to make a long story short, he's invited to a big shot reunion party and she says she'll see him there.

His best friend (Dan Fogler) ends up losing his job as a car salesman and they both end up stealing a car from the aforementioned car lot and go to the party to front like they are really somebody. One ridiculous thing after the other happens until Matt is able to bed his high school crush. Afterword, he finally stops the fronting and admits he works at Suncoast. Predictably, she is upset and does the whole "don't ever talk to me again" routine. Things then spiral downhill for Matt as he gets arrested for the stolen car with cocaine in it and his dad is the arresting officer. In the midst of everything going on, there is always some character throwing in profanity at every turn in attempts to be funny. Of course in the end, she is happy with him and it's implied that they are "dating."

Some of the situational stuff is funny but the profanity was overused and did not further the plot at all. I'm not conservative and I certainly have liked movies with profanity but usually it's because it serves some purpose other than getting sophomoric laughs from 17 year olds. The only redeeming factors were Dan Fogler who was hilarious and Topher Grace who was funny by just using his fish out of water facial expressions and pregnant pauses in key situations.

Overall, I wouldn't recommend anyone spend hard earned money to see this in the theatre. It might be worth it to see it on DVD, but I wouldn't expect anything more than what you would get from any American Pie ripoff. Thankfully my ticket was free. Unfortunately my $16.00 in concession items were not. :lol:

#2 Anton Delfino

Anton Delfino
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts
  • Other
  • San Francisco

Posted 22 July 2008 - 12:11 AM

I just got back from a prescreening of the movie "Young Americans" which was produced by Topher Grace. He also starred in the movie along with Anna Faris, Michelle Tractenberg, and Dan Fogler. The movie is, for some weird reason, titled "Kids in America" on IMDB.

The movie ended at roughly an hour and a half. The basic plot of the movie is that Matt Franklin (Topher Grace), an MIT graduate, is not doing anything with his life after graduation. Most of his high school peers turned out to be wealthy and successful already. He works at Suncoast movie store in the mall. He seems to be content with this until he meets his high school crush, Tori. She ends up coming into Suncoast one day and he pretends that he is just another customer instead of admitting he works there. He claims to work for Goldman-Sachs. Anyways, to make a long story short, he's invited to a big shot reunion party and she says she'll see him there.

His best friend (Dan Fogler) ends up losing his job as a car salesman and they both end up stealing a car from the aforementioned car lot and go to the party to front like they are really somebody. One ridiculous thing after the other happens until Matt is able to bed his high school crush. Afterword, he finally stops the fronting and admits he works at Suncoast. Predictably, she is upset and does the whole "don't ever talk to me again" routine. Things then spiral downhill for Matt as he gets arrested for the stolen car with cocaine in it and his dad is the arresting officer. In the midst of everything going on, there is always some character throwing in profanity at every turn in attempts to be funny. Of course in the end, she is happy with him and it's implied that they are "dating."

Some of the situational stuff is funny but the profanity was overused and did not further the plot at all. I'm not conservative and I certainly have liked movies with profanity but usually it's because it serves some purpose other than getting sophomoric laughs from 17 year olds. The only redeeming factors were Dan Fogler who was hilarious and Topher Grace who was funny by just using his fish out of water facial expressions and pregnant pauses in key situations.

Overall, I wouldn't recommend anyone spend hard earned money to see this in the theatre. It might be worth it to see it on DVD, but I wouldn't expect anything more than what you would get from any American Pie ripoff. Thankfully my ticket was free. Unfortunately my $16.00 in concession items were not. :lol:

Luckily for us, we already know what happens! You saved me $11.75!

CineTape

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Technodolly

rebotnix Technologies

CineLab

Metropolis Post

Rig Wheels Passport

Aerial Filmworks

The Slider

Abel Cine

Willys Widgets

FJS International, LLC