Photo

found a free super8 camera and projector...

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Cory Lonas

Cory Lonas
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
  • Gaffer
  • NYC

Posted 17 July 2008 - 01:08 PM

I found a free GOF anscomatic super 8 camera and a bell and howell projector the other day on craigslist, I want to get out there and shoot some test footage and get rolling with it.. what do you recommend in terms of film stock, and where should I buy it? Ive only been seeing it for about 20 bucks per roll.. how much time with that get me? where is the best place to get it developed?

#2 Matthew W. Phillips

Matthew W. Phillips
  • Sustaining Members
  • 1792 posts
  • Other

Posted 17 July 2008 - 01:38 PM

I found a free GOF anscomatic super 8 camera and a bell and howell projector the other day on craigslist, I want to get out there and shoot some test footage and get rolling with it.. what do you recommend in terms of film stock, and where should I buy it? Ive only been seeing it for about 20 bucks per roll.. how much time with that get me? where is the best place to get it developed?

A roll of Super 8 film will get you 3 minutes and 20 seconds @ 18 fps and 2 minutes 30 seconds @ 24 fps industry standard.

As Will always points out, you can purchase film direct from Kodak for $14/roll for 64t but the shipping is $12. If you buy a lot of film, the shipping is still $12 so it can be a good deal.

My personal recommendation for processing is Dwayne's in Parsons, Kansas. First off, they yield excellent results (IMO) and second, they are the cheapest I have found. They process for $10.00/roll + $4.00 return shipping for the first roll and 0.50 for each additional roll. I'm going to be sending off 9 rolls after my short film shoot in a couple of weeks and that's only going to cost me $98.00. I think that's a great deal for a full short film's worth of footage.

#3 Ira Ratner

Ira Ratner
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 558 posts
  • Other
  • Coral Springs, Florida

Posted 20 July 2008 - 09:56 AM

My personal recommendation for processing is Dwayne's in Parsons, Kansas.

They don't do b&w at all?

Edited by Ira Ratner, 20 July 2008 - 09:58 AM.

Rig Wheels Passport

FJS International, LLC

Willys Widgets

rebotnix Technologies

Technodolly

Ritter Battery

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

CineTape

Tai Audio

Metropolis Post

Aerial Filmworks

Broadcast Solutions Inc