New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • 2nd Assistant Camera
  • istanbul

Posted 17 July 2008 - 06:08 PM

hi all;
i am a 2.ac from turkey and i am working for 8 years. one of my friends came and asked me if i can shoot his first feature in 16mm. yes, i do know how to measure the light but the problem is i've never shoot with negative :unsure: please i need some advices about the film stocks and the dynamic ranges of them.
regards...
p.s: sorry about my english

Edited by erdem yilmaz, 17 July 2008 - 06:12 PM.

#2 Brian Rose

Brian Rose
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 896 posts
  • Student
  • Kansas City area

Posted 17 July 2008 - 10:11 PM

hi all;
i am a 2.ac from turkey and i am working for 8 years. one of my friends came and asked me if i can shoot his first feature in 16mm. yes, i do know how to measure the light but the problem is i've never shoot with negative :unsure: please i need some advices about the film stocks and the dynamic ranges of them.
regards...
p.s: sorry about my english

Try the manufacturers. Kodak and Fuji have curves and everything. I believe they also offer free DVDs demoing every type of stock.

I'm a little confused though. You've been an AC but have never worked with negative??? If so, you might want to pick up David Mullen's book on Cinematography.

Best,
BR

#3 erdem yilmaz

erdem yilmaz

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • 2nd Assistant Camera
  • istanbul

Posted 18 July 2008 - 03:25 AM

Try the manufacturers. Kodak and Fuji have curves and everything. I believe they also offer free DVDs demoing every type of stock.

I'm a little confused though. You've been an AC but have never worked with negative??? If so, you might want to pick up David Mullen's book on Cinematography.

Best,
BR

hi Brian;
i tryed to explain that i haven't expose any dramatic scene. i just shoot camera tests only :rolleyes:

Edited by erdem yilmaz, 18 July 2008 - 03:29 AM.

#4 David Rakoczy

David Rakoczy
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1579 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • USA

Posted 18 July 2008 - 09:35 AM

Mr. Mullen's book is great no doubt... I have not read it but just ordered a copy as if I get one thing out of it, it is well worth the price.... What I HIGHLY recommend for you is FILM LIGHTING by MALKIEWICZ. This book is fantastic!!! Loaded with Examples and Diagrams. This book will give you all the confidence you need to get in there and Light. It also has a running commentary by the Masters. A MUST!

Now, 'Pros' often take this bit of advice the wrong way and I hope they can see what I am referring to as I really don't want to spend a lot of time defending the simplicity of the coming statement. I worked for a great Gaffer named Lee Heckler (Heaven's Gate and much much more) who Gaffed for Vilmos and the rest. One day (early in my career) I asked Lee 'How do I Light?' as if there was one simple answer... he made a great statement... "Well... turn on a Light, start moving it around.. now you're Lighting". Yes, we should pre-visualize a scene and transfer that vision into Light Values and expose those values onto emulsion. But there is a truth to what Lee told me (though it frustrated me at the time) .. and the once or twice I was stuck (early in my career).. his advice got me out of the jam.

Edited by David Rakoczy, 18 July 2008 - 09:36 AM.

#5 Serge Teulon

Serge Teulon
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 757 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • London UK

Posted 18 July 2008 - 10:50 AM

Hi Erdem,

Today's stock has so much latitude that there is loads of room for error. So don't worry too much about that.
My advice is concentrate more in achieving the feel you want with your lighting. If you don't feel that its working, don't be afraid to say to the director "It isn't working! Give me 10 mins and I'll make it work." Sounds indulgent but if you have a good relationship with the director he/she will work with you.

Good luck!

#6 David Rakoczy

David Rakoczy
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1579 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • USA

Posted 18 July 2008 - 11:46 AM

Today's stock has so much latitude that there is loads of room for error. - Quote

ya.. it's super easy.. anyone can do it... :o

Unbelievable!

#7 David Rakoczy

David Rakoczy
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1579 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • USA

Posted 18 July 2008 - 11:53 AM

The sheer Fact that Film does have so much Latitude means you have to work that much harder to carve out and define your Lighting.... "leaving you loads of room for error"... a fact most Video Shooters overlook.

Edited by David Rakoczy, 18 July 2008 - 11:54 AM.

#8 Tim Terner

Tim Terner
  • Sustaining Members
  • 340 posts
  • Producer
  • Prague, CZ

Posted 18 July 2008 - 12:49 PM

In all honesty Serge, if you're not satisfied with what you should have had a sufficient time to do, then ten minutes more isn't going to solve the problem. And to back up David's sentiments, 'stock having more latitude' certainly makes lighting certain scenes even harder

#9 erdem yilmaz

erdem yilmaz

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • 2nd Assistant Camera
  • istanbul

Posted 18 July 2008 - 05:16 PM

thanks all of you for the advices. i didn't expect that much interest. that maked me really fell good and confident. there is a voice in my mind which says "you must do it boy" though i am scared of the high responsibility of lighting. :rolleyes:
i've ordered the books. i am sure they will help. thanks a lot again. i will come back with questions again :rolleyes:
regards to all...

Erdem YILMAZ

#10 David Rakoczy

David Rakoczy
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1579 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • USA

Posted 18 July 2008 - 05:39 PM

thanks all of you for the advices. i didn't expect that much interest. that maked me really fell good and confident. there is a voice in my mind which says "you must do it boy" though i am scared of the high responsibility of lighting. :rolleyes:
i've ordered the books. i am sure they will help. thanks a lot again. i will come back with questions again :rolleyes:
regards to all...

Erdem YILMAZ

One more bit of advice. Provided you have a good Crew (Electric & Grip).. don't be so concerned with telling them all the details. For example, having Gaffed for a long time, when I began DPing, it took me even longer to stop saying things like "Give me a 10k to my right.. right here exactly.. and punch it through a 4x4 216.. no make that 250.. then cut it off that wall with a Floppy and the floor with a meat-ax"... to just saying "I think we need a bit more Softlight coming from Camera Right.. but not illuminating the wall and floor.. let those stay dark". Once they have set that up and I can see it I might say.. "can you make it a bit Softer" (for example). Oftentimes a good gaffer will give you what you want in a different manner and it is a great learning experience to see the many ways to the same goal. Making that transition was very difficult for me, and I still work on that to this day. The idea is not to get lost in the details to the extent you have lost the 'feeling' of the Shot. I believe that is what Serge was touching upon in the second part of his post. Of course, when working with a new Crew or an inexperienced Crew.. I will tell them what I want in great detail and I am glad I have the ability/ experience to do so.

Edited by David Rakoczy, 18 July 2008 - 05:43 PM.

Rig Wheels Passport

Tai Audio

Wooden Camera

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

FJS International, LLC

Paralinx LLC

Technodolly

Abel Cine

CineTape

Glidecam

Ritter Battery