4 replies to this topic

#1 pushpa

pushpa
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • Student

Posted 21 July 2008 - 10:11 AM

hi to everyone who r reading this lines...

i have a little bit of confusion with super 35 and cinemascope...in wikipedia it is given that super 35 mm uses the space which is normally reserved for analog soundtrack...but my teacher told me that the choice of lenses of super 35 mm is more because of spherical type lenses so only they are using this format...

can anyone out there help me...??? :unsure:

thank you... :rolleyes:

#2 timHealy

timHealy
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1252 posts
  • Other
  • New York

Posted 21 July 2008 - 05:05 PM

I'm not sure about cinemascope but many utilize super 35 and normal spherical lenses and cropping to 2.35 frame as an alternative to using anamorphic lenses.

Film is so good these days not many people notice except maybe when you see flares. I'm sure there are other ways too.

Best

Tim

#3 Nate Downes

Nate Downes
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1638 posts
  • Florida, USA

Posted 22 July 2008 - 09:10 AM

Simple, Cinemascope requires Anamorphic lenses, but is onto the normal academy film frame. This allows for optical print-outs simpler. Super35 uses the full-frame rather than the academy frame, utilizing the side area normally used by the soundtrack. This is more complex to print, but can utilize spherical lenses.

#4 David Mullen ASC

David Mullen ASC
  • Sustaining Members
  • 19769 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 22 July 2008 - 09:30 AM

Posted Image

Super-35 uses the first box (A) with spherical lenses but you crop way, way down for 2.40, then convert the cropped portion in post to the fourth box (D), for CinemaScope (anamorphic) with a 2X image squeeze. Shooting with anamorphic lenses uses diagram D -- as you can see, even though you don't use the soundtrack portion on the left, overall you use more negative area than Super-35 (Full Aperture) cropped in half to get 2.40.

#5 pushpa

pushpa
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • Student

Posted 22 July 2008 - 09:13 PM

Posted Image

Super-35 uses the first box (A) with spherical lenses but you crop way, way down for 2.40, then convert the cropped portion in post to the fourth box (D), for CinemaScope (anamorphic) with a 2X image squeeze. Shooting with anamorphic lenses uses diagram D -- as you can see, even though you don't use the soundtrack portion on the left, overall you use more negative area than Super-35 (Full Aperture) cropped in half to get 2.40.

thank you David Mullen for ur reply...

i saw ur works on ur website and they are awesome...i wish i could do photography like that one day...

cheers...

Edited by pushpa, 22 July 2008 - 09:14 PM.

Willys Widgets

The Slider

Glidecam

Visual Products

Rig Wheels Passport

Tai Audio

FJS International, LLC

Paralinx LLC

Ritter Battery

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Abel Cine

Wooden Camera