#1 David Cavallo

David Cavallo
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Brooklyn, NY

Posted 24 July 2008 - 07:32 AM

I'm shooting a very low budget student film on Super 16 next week, which will be transferred to Digi-Beta. The director is looking for a soft, pastel, low-contrast look, so I've suggested either 7229 or Fuji Reala 500D 8692, two stocks I've shot before to achieve these types of results.

The problem is the disparity in the locations; the one interior is a large church, with mostly daylight. And since the lighting package is abysmal--small tungsten fresnels that will require gelling to match the daylight--I'll need every bit of the 500s speed to make the location work. (I'm leaning towards the Reala because I won't need an 85, and thus won't lose the 2/3 of a stop; also, I'd prefer to work with no filtration with Super 16.) The other location, however, is an open field, which we'll be shooting in the summer sun, and either 7229 or 8692 will require some heavy NDs--which I am very reluctant to use--to get down to my planned shooting stop of T2.8/4.

Any suggestions on a low-speed daylight stock that might match well with 7229 or 8692, so I don't have to use all those NDs? I wish I had the time and money to do tests, but there was barely money in the budget to upgrade from regular 16 to Super!

Many thanks,
David

#2 David Rakoczy

David Rakoczy
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1579 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • USA

Posted 24 July 2008 - 09:58 AM

As far as Camera Filters are concerned I would think a White Promist may head you in the direction you want to go. That or Low Cons.

Why are you reluctant to use NDs?... I use them on my S16 Package every shoot to lessen the DOF. I have never felt reluctant to shoot through one, two or more NDs/ Pola combos.

Edited by David Rakoczy, 24 July 2008 - 10:01 AM.

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

CineTape

Visual Products

FJS International, LLC

Opal

Paralinx LLC

Aerial Filmworks

Wooden Camera

rebotnix Technologies

Rig Wheels Passport

Metropolis Post

Broadcast Solutions Inc