#1 Nick Norton

Nick Norton
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 248 posts
  • Student
  • Chicago

Posted 24 July 2008 - 05:19 PM

Just wondering if anyone knows where to purchase an eclair ACL battery and or charger.

Thanks to any responses!

-Nicholas

#2 Saul Rodgar

Saul Rodgar
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1682 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 24 July 2008 - 10:17 PM

Nick: Here is what I did:

Provided your newly acquired camera came with the necessary power cable (Eclair to 4 pin XLR) any good old 12 volt 7 amp battery with pos/ neg (like car battery) connectors will work. But you will need a 4-pin XLR to the battery connectors adapter. Switchcraft makes a good such adapter.

My battery is a Powersonic 1207 block battery I bought at my local battery shop for $30. You can buy a charger there as well. I carry it around in a fanny pack (dollar store find) that has the XLR connector/ adapter on one side attached to the fabric so that only the socket is visible. Cheap, efficient and easy to replace. The total price for my kit was around $50/60 bucks.

If your camera didn't come with the necessary (non 4 pin XLR on one end) power cable, you will need to find that first. I would call George at Optical Electro House http://www.opticalelectrohouse.com/, he may have some lying around. I would wait to see what type of connector you need for the camera, or if it comes with it, in case it hasn't been delivered yet.

As an alternative for the DIY battery belt I outlined above, you can get manufactured big battery belt with 4 pin XLR from most camera merchants, but expect to pay a bit more, such as this one:

http://www.bhphotovi...te_Battery.html

Note, on most battery belts you will still need the Eclair to XLR power cable to connect to the camera, unless the camera has been modified or has both types of connectors as Aaton LTR's do.

Good luck.

Edited by Saul Rodgar, 24 July 2008 - 10:22 PM.

#3 Nick Norton

Nick Norton
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 248 posts
  • Student
  • Chicago

Posted 26 July 2008 - 10:31 PM

Thanks!

-Nicholas

CineLab

Wooden Camera