Ram Shani
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 735 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • isreal

Posted 26 July 2008 - 01:27 AM

hi

i am about to shoot short film play 90% in restaurant.

the story is about couple how run the restaurant husband chef and his wife. the wife find out that she is pregnant and want to tell here husband but his is not "seeing" here
a very fat gust that come to the restaurant change every thing up to a tragic and when he die and the women live here husband

here are some pics of the restaurant

i was thinking to play with the 2 worlds
the kitchen will be cold with fluorescent
and the restaurant will be warm soft light but moody

it's all will be night or very late afternoon.

as you can see i have windows i can use for day and for night

it's plan to be shoot with HVX200 with mini pro with some slow motion

any tip idea thought will be great

p.s

you all can see 360 view here:
http://www.tourwise....o...&noresize=1

#2 Patrick Nuse

Patrick Nuse
  • Guests

Posted 03 August 2008 - 02:18 PM

That is a pretty small space. wide shots are going to be tricky to light. You will most likely have to stick to close up / medium shots of your talent. For shots of people sitting at a table I would look into using boom stands to get a small light over the table to simulate the practicals in the ceiling. You could also look into having small table lamps on the tables and then use a couple of soft light sources behind each actor sitting at the table to make it look like the table lamps provide all the light. also you will need to prepare to gel the windows to bring the daylight down to the right level. If your budget is small you can get away with using standard window tinting film and just tape it to the outside of the window frames.
The kitchen looks like very even lighting you will probably want to use a broad source to one side of your talent for some definition. maybe Kinos's on hanging from the ceiling to simulate the existing light but use grids on them to keep the scene from looking to flat. I would do some experimenting if you have access to the place with a still camera and try some lighting with stand ins before you start shooting for real.

Good luck!

#3 Ram Shani

Ram Shani
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 735 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • isreal

Posted 28 August 2008 - 01:36 AM

so this is how i went with the lighting at the end.

first let me said that i shoot with Sony-z7 mini pro and set of Arri T/2.1

as for lighting :

in the kitchen i skirt the Flo from the top and add some kino's (4bank&batfly)using daylight tubes to keep the cold top light look

at the part that is close to the kitchen i went for more natural look. putting 4-red head just outside the windows with 1/2 ctb and soft back light inside using kino 1/2 tungsten 1/2 daylight and homemade chainaball with 3-500w inside,with full white diffuser.
at the entering part (the small part ) i put polecat with 3-tota light bounce to the ceiling for soft worm top light augmenting it with practicals on tables

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Willys Widgets

CineLab

Abel Cine

Ritter Battery

Paralinx LLC

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Glidecam

rebotnix Technologies

Visual Products

The Slider

Metropolis Post