#1 Michael Zoppo

Michael Zoppo

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 28 July 2008 - 12:27 AM

We are starting a website to join people socially and professionally through social networks and services. I am currently working on the Cinematographer network, I have to ask all the cinematographers questions about what they do, when they fill out the answers everyone else on the site will see how they answered the questions. So lets say I'm a director and I;m looking for a cinematographer who shoots IMAX film or knows how to I can go to the network and find out who answered yes to that question and then contact them. My question to you guys is what questions should I ask that are mostly asked in your profession, consistent questions among cinematographers. Thanks a lot guys.

#2 Brian Dzyak

Brian Dzyak
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1517 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Encino, California USA

Posted 28 July 2008 - 09:34 AM

We are starting a website to join people socially and professionally through social networks and services. I am currently working on the Cinematographer network, I have to ask all the cinematographers questions about what they do, when they fill out the answers everyone else on the site will see how they answered the questions. So lets say I'm a director and I;m looking for a cinematographer who shoots IMAX film or knows how to I can go to the network and find out who answered yes to that question and then contact them. My question to you guys is what questions should I ask that are mostly asked in your profession, consistent questions among cinematographers. Thanks a lot guys.

"Your were recommended by [someone else who isn't available or doesn't want to do it]. Are you available to shoot [month/date]?"

"We're shooting with the [camera type]. Do you know how to use that?"

"We don't have much money. Will you work on a flat?"

#3 Saul Rodgar

Saul Rodgar
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1682 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 28 July 2008 - 01:01 PM

The only issue I have with your otherwise excellent idea is that skills are continually being developed in this business. No two (location-shot) cinematography jobs are ever alike, from the equipment used, crew, budget, to the actual locations, weather conditions, etc. No matter how old, cinematographers are always learning. Technology is changing so fast, it is almost a full time job just to keep up with it. So what I know about using certain equipment or processes today may change radically tomorrow if the conditions of my latest job teach me something I didn't know yesterday, which is VERY likely.

Your approach doesn't plan for this type of situation. If a producer searches a database with questions posed to cinematographers in the past, it doesn't take into account what they may have learned in the interim. AND may sway some jobs away from now perfectly qualified candidates.

I think having a way to ask the questions real time, when the producer wants to know (direct contact by email or telephone) is a better approach than for a cinematographer responding to questions that will be read by someone in the indeterminate future.

The Slider

FJS International, LLC

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Wooden Camera

Opal

Glidecam

Abel Cine

Metropolis Post

Tai Audio

Visual Products

Rig Wheels Passport