Chris Folwell

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Student
  • Newcastle, UK

Posted 29 July 2008 - 06:36 PM

Hi all, I recently bought a 16mm cine camera off ebay as I've always had a interest in film rather than digital (also it was a bit of a bargain, or maybe not we'll soon find out!) and I was wondering what you might be able to tell me about it, or recommend where to go from here.

Here is the camera:

http://cgi.ebay.co.u...em=270258327218

It's a Ensign Simplex Pockette 16mm Cine Camera, Model C.C and from what I understand it has a clockwork motor and is still in working order and works at 12 and 16 fps as well as having a single frame setting.

As I mentioned I'm more or less a complete amateur but it comes with the original manual so I figured I'd give it a shot. I mostly wanted to use it for stop motion animation and also for a bit of traveling and I've already checked out a couple of websites for film etc so I was just wondering if anyone had any experience with this camera or has any advice to pass on to me.

I'll update the post when I get the camera anyway.

Thanks!
Chris

#2 Charles MacDonald

Charles MacDonald
  • Sustaining Members
  • 1157 posts
  • Other
  • Stittsville Ontario Canada

Posted 29 July 2008 - 08:02 PM

Hi all, I recently bought a 16mm cine camera off ebay as I've always had a interest in film rather than digital (also it was a bit of a bargain, or maybe not we'll soon find out!) and I was wondering what you might be able to tell me about it,
http://cgi.ebay.co.u...em=270258327218

It's a Ensign Simplex Pockette 16mm Cine Camera, Model C.C and from what I understand it has a clockwork motor and is still in working order and works at 12 and 16 fps as well as having a single frame setting.

HI chris, looks like a typical home movie camera. the 16frame speed is the tipoff. These days most film is shot at "sound Speed" of 24 Frames. Don't let that stop you, you can learn a lot from playing with the unit anyway. and 16 Frames "silent speed" does give you more running time for a given lenght of film.

before you order film see if the Camera takes single or double perf stock. double perf is a bit harder to get, although it is still made.

#3 Ira Ratner

Ira Ratner
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 558 posts
  • Other
  • Coral Springs, Florida

Posted 30 July 2008 - 05:31 AM

Hi, Chris. I'm pretty much a newbie too. although I have a background in still work. (Waiting for my Russian-made K-3 to make its journey from the Ukraine to the Sunshine State.)

Did that description mention a light meter? If it doesn't have one, I suggest shopping around for one. With the cost of film and processing, you don't want to take chances.

Paralinx LLC

CineTape

Aerial Filmworks

Metropolis Post

The Slider

Tai Audio

Opal

FJS International, LLC

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Technodolly

Abel Cine

Willys Widgets