2 replies to this topic

#1 Eric Lin

Eric Lin
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 30 July 2008 - 08:44 AM

Hi all. I'm prepping for a low budget (and by low I mean micro) red one indie feature. I may have to lose one lens from the prime lens set I want and am considering a Zeiss Mutar or Optex 2x extender as a cheaper alternative. I've never used one before and won't have a chance to test until close to the shoot but I need to get them an equipment list now.

I know they lose two stops of light but I'd love to hear people's experiences and their opinions about the optical quality of the extenders. Acceptable? Horrible? Let me know.

Thanks!

Eric Lin
DP
New York

#2 Stephen Williams

Stephen Williams
  • Sustaining Members
  • 4708 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Europe

Posted 30 July 2008 - 09:05 AM

Hi all. I'm prepping for a low budget (and by low I mean micro) red one indie feature. I may have to lose one lens from the prime lens set I want and am considering a Zeiss Mutar or Optex 2x extender as a cheaper alternative. I've never used one before and won't have a chance to test until close to the shoot but I need to get them an equipment list now.

I know they lose two stops of light but I'd love to hear people's experiences and their opinions about the optical quality of the extenders. Acceptable? Horrible? Let me know.

Thanks!

Eric Lin
DP
New York

Hi,

An extender is just magnifying the image, so a great deal depends on the the lens being magnified. Most lenses are optimally sharp 2-3 stops down. Good results can be obtained.

Stephen

#3 Ira Ratner

Ira Ratner
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 558 posts
  • Other
  • Coral Springs, Florida

Posted 01 August 2008 - 06:36 PM

For 35mm still work, they're usually pretty horrible. Bad degradation of image, and they're the inexpensive and laughing stock of the serious photographic community. Yeah, there are some "better" ones out there, but for that kind of money, why not put it towards a prime?

But that being said, for cinematic work and the tone you're trying to set for that/those scene(s), who the heck knows?

If you're trying to film a close up of the perfect tulip with the sun rising behind it, forget it. But if it's a couple on a pier at sunset and he confesses to her that he's gay and can't marry her, it could be just perfect for you.

Main thing is, 9 times out of 10, extenders are something to be avoided, and the correct prime should be used instead, if possible.

Edited by Ira Ratner, 01 August 2008 - 06:39 PM.

Metropolis Post

rebotnix Technologies

Willys Widgets

Technodolly

Wooden Camera

The Slider

Rig Wheels Passport

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Aerial Filmworks

CineTape

Abel Cine

Gamma Ray Digital Inc