2 replies to this topic

#1 Robert ODoul

Robert ODoul
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 30 July 2008 - 10:49 AM

Hello everyone. I?d love feedback, both on what I?m doing right and what I should/can do better.

I went for grit on this one. I wanted to do everything to get away from the orderly style, just to try it out. This was all hand held, arm-extended swooping in-your-face shots with aggressive colour grading (which is also used to hide the grain in the blacks). I was only on sticks for two takes - one when with the singer's face is up close, and the other was a wide.

I?d really appreciate some constructive feedback, thank you.

http://fmw.teack.net...lullaby_01.html

#2 Rod Blackhurst

Rod Blackhurst
  • Guests

Posted 30 July 2008 - 11:59 AM

Robert,

Your post said you shot this in HD with prime lenses right? Where did the film burns and flares come from then? Did you create those in post? Just speaking from experience it'd be best to stay away from digital film effects....just comes across as forced, that is unless they actually happened in camera.

What camera and what 35mm adapter did you use?

I wish had some more in depth constructive criticism to offer but the only thing I'd say is stay away from the dutch camera work when at all possible. Other than that looks very cool, great color. What program did you use to color grade?

Cheers,

Rod

#3 Robert ODoul

Robert ODoul
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 15 August 2008 - 10:46 PM

Thanks for the feedback Rod, sounds like I am more or less going the right way.

In short, it was a simple setup and post process. I shot with in HDV, 24P on the Canon HV20. The lenses were Nikons. While the len flares are a real effect of the lenses, the film burns and horizontal & vertical streaks flares were in post.

I edited and colour corrected in Final Cut Pro. The HDV held up very well in post - I crushed the blacks highly of course, but as a secondary 3-way color correction filter. In all, I used 2 instances of 3-way color corrector filter, and Magic Bullet looks. The HDV held up surprisingly well, but I'd really lean towards a better codec for future projects I'm doing.

Why no dutch angles? Aside from hand-held, what'd be so bad about them? I shot it that way to get away from the rigid promotional work I've been doing recently.. this was an artistic 'yell' and release for me ;)

Robert,

Your post said you shot this in HD with prime lenses right? Where did the film burns and flares come from then? Did you create those in post? Just speaking from experience it'd be best to stay away from digital film effects....just comes across as forced, that is unless they actually happened in camera.

What camera and what 35mm adapter did you use?

I wish had some more in depth constructive criticism to offer but the only thing I'd say is stay away from the dutch camera work when at all possible. Other than that looks very cool, great color. What program did you use to color grade?

Cheers,

Rod

Wooden Camera

Technodolly

Paralinx LLC

The Slider

Rig Wheels Passport

Visual Products

Willys Widgets

Metropolis Post

Glidecam

Aerial Filmworks