William Sanders

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 30 July 2008 - 12:43 PM

Hello,

I'm shooting a short student project on regular 16mm. There is a scene where a person is talking next to a window. I want to add a little contrast and rather then motivate soft daylight I figure I would use a source to represent direct sunlight hitting the actor.

The only problem is I don't know how much over exposer I will need to make it look realistic. If I expose for the sunny side it no longer will be a highlight and if I go for the shaded side it might blow out the sunny side to much.

I was thinking of just overexposing the highlight by 2 to give that feel. Is that two much and will it be distracting? I usually let highlights go 2 1/2 but in those instances an actor is walking through or used to create a bit of depth. I haven't done a scene where the talent is in the highlight for that long of a period saying lines.

#2 Tim Terner

Tim Terner
  • Sustaining Members
  • 340 posts
  • Producer
  • Prague, CZ

Posted 30 July 2008 - 01:04 PM

If you are shooting on negative film I would say 2 over is perfect, you can also bounce a bit of the light back if it is too extreme

#3 Garrett Shannon

Garrett Shannon
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles, CA

Posted 03 August 2008 - 02:25 PM

Do you know what stock you are using? If you really want to get some contrast another thing you could do is bring in some negative fill on the side of the face opposite the window. That way you have good exposure on the front of the face and then 2 over on one side and maybe 1 or 2 under on the other side. One thing I like to do is place a practical or somehow light up the background directly behind the dark area on the talent's face. This is a good way to create separation without adding a rim or back light which sometimes looks cheesy in my opinion and it also emphasizes the darkness on the face. Cheers.

CineTape

Willys Widgets

Opal

Visual Products

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Glidecam

FJS International, LLC

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Abel Cine

CineLab

Ritter Battery

Tai Audio