#1 Yasutaka Sekine

Yasutaka Sekine

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Student

Posted 31 July 2008 - 05:58 AM

Hello everybody. I'm a film student and am really interested in Cinematography. Lately I was seriously considering about purchasing a 16mm camera rather than renting one every time I have a project. But the problem is, I don't know what to purchase. What I'm looking for is a used (of course), not so loud, and decent quality. I would like you guys to give me some advise. Price range is really low too actually. I was thinking about less than $2000 that I can some how save up and make it happen in near future.

Thanks,

Yasu

#2 Adrian Sierkowski

Adrian Sierkowski
  • Sustaining Members
  • 7117 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles, Ca

Posted 31 July 2008 - 08:36 AM

Hey Yasu,
this has been discussed a lot, just try the search function.
For S16mm at 2000 though you may be hard pressed, normally I'd aim for around 5000 (good Eclair camera) but steals often pop up.

#3 Yasutaka Sekine

Yasutaka Sekine

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Student

Posted 31 July 2008 - 12:53 PM

Ok, I will.

Thanks Adrian

Yasu.

#4 Brian Drysdale

Brian Drysdale
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5070 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 31 July 2008 - 03:13 PM

You'd get more responses in the 16mm forum, rather than in a forum about particular cinematographers.

#5 Olex Kalynychenko

Olex Kalynychenko
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 868 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Dnepropetrovsk, Ukraine

Posted 01 August 2008 - 03:00 AM

.... Lately I was seriously considering about purchasing a 16mm camera rather than renting one every time I have a project.....
.... I was thinking about less than $2000 ....

Russian professional Kinor-16 SX-2M and you will have money for upgrade of electrical motor on crystal sync speed version.

#6 James Steven Beverly

James Steven Beverly
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4199 posts
  • Director
  • El Paso, Texas

Posted 01 August 2008 - 04:45 AM

I PERSONALLY would forget about 16mm and get a Konvas 1m 35mm package because they can SILL be had in good condition for under a grand but that's just me.

I bought a Beaulieu 16R and a B&H 240EE for our film school because although the Beauleiu is fragile and have a reputation for breaking down a lot, it's about the cheapest 16mm reflex out there with an interchangeable c-mount lens turret that on the later models, can use a 200ft external film mag. It can also has a port to be fitted with a sync cable or can be used with an external sync unit (but those are EXPENSIVE). They have been used to shoot a few feature films in the past though they are NOT blimped and are somewhat loud so if you ARE shooting sound sync with one, you'll either have to set it back a ways, wrap it in a blanket of figure out how to barney it. They're kinda designed for using hand held but will work on a tripod with a cabled battery. They never had a matte-box made specifically for them as far as I know but it wouldn't be too much trouble to adapt one to it. I'm actually using a Cokin A matte-box and filters designed for 35mm still cameras. It screws right onto the Angenieux 17-65 zoom that came with it. The 20-120 Angenieux zooms that many people use are actually too heavy for the turret to support un-aided so be aware of that if you're thinking about buying one. B)

Edited by James Steven Beverly, 01 August 2008 - 04:50 AM.

#7 John King

John King
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 86 posts
  • Other
  • Burkesville, Kentucky

Posted 01 August 2008 - 11:29 AM

Lately I've seen some Arri 16BL's on ebay going for less than 2 grand so maybe that might interest you.

JMK

#8 John Holland

John Holland
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2248 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • London England

Posted 01 August 2008 - 11:36 AM

I do wish you would follow the words of Brian Drysdale said on a earlier post and move this to 16mm cameras where it belongs ,its just so lazy .

#9 Yasutaka Sekine

Yasutaka Sekine

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Student

Posted 01 August 2008 - 07:50 PM

You're rite John. I'm trying to move this to 16mm forum, but I just don't know how and trying to figure it out rite now. Thanks guys for a good advise. I will definitely think of ways to buy a decent camera based on your words.

The Slider

Opal

Ritter Battery

Visual Products

Metropolis Post

rebotnix Technologies

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Aerial Filmworks

Technodolly

Tai Audio

FJS International, LLC

Rig Wheels Passport