No replies to this topic

#1 Adrian Sierkowski

Adrian Sierkowski
  • Sustaining Members
  • 7116 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles, Ca

Posted 31 July 2008 - 05:22 PM

I suppose this could go into the editing section as it deals with data management and all, but I figured out here might be a bit better.
I'm looking into different data back up solutions for the tapeless workflows i"ll be dealing with in the future. I know RAID-5 is the best way to go, but I wonder if the price is worth it. Recently I came across something called "Drobo," from data robotics. It is a hard drive enclosure which seems to function as a RAID w/o the cost of a RAID. Also it has standard plug and play connectors (USB2.0 FW 400 and 800) and takes standard drives of any size. . with data redundancy. So, my question is this; anyone work with a Drobo before? If so, how does it hold up in the field? Is it worth the investment? I can get a 2TB drobo for around $900, which is cheaper than most of the RAID enclosures I've been seeing.

Any insight would be wonderful. I probably won't be editing off of it, and I'll be on a macbook pro (intel core duo). Rather it would be for on-site back up as the files come in. Copied to an external client drive as well as the Drobo for safety (Drobo would come home with production and filed would be stored onto it until the project is complete, then H/D can be sent to client, or just erased in house). Of course, client would have the original external drive as well and all the stuff. Does that sound like it makes sense?

Anyway, I'm a bit bleary eyed, and deeply in need of a coffee. So, thanks for any advice and I'll be 'round in a bit.

Best,
~Adrian

oh, for the website
http://www.drobostor...ront/welcome.do

Metropolis Post

Paralinx LLC

Opal

Visual Products

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Rig Wheels Passport

Ritter Battery