#1 Jordan Mosley

Jordan Mosley

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Student

Posted 01 August 2008 - 04:39 PM

I have a quick question...I'm reading the 5'cs of cinematography and I'm trying to understand if two shots can only be used for medium shots. The author words his explanation kind of funny for me to understand he says..the most dramatically interesting medium shot is the two shot...if any body can help I'd appreciate it.

#2 Michael Belanger

Michael Belanger
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Long Beach, CA

Posted 01 August 2008 - 06:56 PM

You can certainly have a 2-shot in a wide or even a close-up in certain situations (lover's on a bed with their heads side by side for instace). I like to think of the various shots not by their exact framing, but by what they do to tell a story. So a wide shot establishes the setting, shows us where we are, etc. The medium shot picks out a subject (or subjects) and lets us focus in a bit on what the story is about. And the close-up shows substance, details, expressions, etc.

Mascelli is just saying that a medium show with 2 subjects is very dynamic. You have only 2 items drawing your attention and often they are opposed in some manner. Man and woman, good vs evil, killer and victim, etc. No matter what the relationship, there is an interplay between the two that generates its own interest (as opposed to a shot of just one subject).

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Aerial Filmworks

Technodolly

FJS International, LLC

Abel Cine

Tai Audio

Wooden Camera

Rig Wheels Passport

rebotnix Technologies

Visual Products

Ritter Battery