Photo

Shooting anamorphically with an academy gate, is it possible?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 James Steven Beverly

James Steven Beverly
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4199 posts
  • Director
  • El Paso, Texas

Posted 01 August 2008 - 08:01 PM

Is it possible to shoot anamorphically with an academy gate and have decent results? I'm having trouble finding an anamorphic gate for my Kinor (or any spare gate for that matter) so because I don't want to have my only gate machined to anamorphic thus possibly making it unusable for shooting spherically unless I absolutely have too, just though I'd ask. I have some time before we begin principal photography so if I can find one this may be academic (sorry for the pun) but it wouldn't hurt to know one way or the other. B)

#2 Mike Williamson

Mike Williamson
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 534 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 01 August 2008 - 08:31 PM

An anamorphic gate has the same horizontal dimensions as an an academy gate, but is taller vertically. So you would not be able to film with anamorphic lenses and get the proper aspect ratio with an academy gate.

If you can't find an anamorphic gate, I would suggest getting your academy gate machined to the right specs. You could still use it to shoot academy, the only difference would be that you would have picture outside the academy area, but that's what framing charts are for. Good luck with your project.

#3 James Steven Beverly

James Steven Beverly
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4199 posts
  • Director
  • El Paso, Texas

Posted 02 August 2008 - 01:04 AM

That was gonna be my next question, can I use an anamorphic gate with sphericals. Since I can, that will work, assuming there's no major problems associated with doing so. Most films are framed for 1:85 anyway it won' make any difference. Has anyone here ever shot spherical with a an anamorphic gate before? :huh:

#4 Stephen Williams

Stephen Williams
  • Sustaining Members
  • 4708 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Europe

Posted 02 August 2008 - 02:01 AM

That was gonna be my next question, can I use an anamorphic gate with sphericals. Since I can, that will work, assuming there's no major problems associated with doing so. Most films are framed for 1:85 anyway it won' make any difference. Has anyone here ever shot spherical with a an anamorphic gate before? :huh:

Hi,

Why not just make a full apeture gate, most cameas have one and could shoot whattever they like, academy or anamorphic.

Stephen

#5 David Mullen ASC

David Mullen ASC
  • Sustaining Members
  • 19759 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 02 August 2008 - 05:43 AM

Most modern cameras these days have Full Aperture gates, whether or not you shoot Super-35 or have the lens off-centered for Academy / 1.85 / anamorphic. So you'd have to deliberately add a hard matte to the gate if you wanted to expose less than Full Aperture.

For some 1.85 movies that I shot, I wanted to use a 1.66 hard matte in the camera (the Panaflex allows hard matte slides to be put into the gate) but ended up using a 1.37 Academy hard matte. Basically I wanted it to be clear to the telecine operator that I wasn't shooting Super-35.

So you could use an anamorphic hard matte for a 1.85 movie if all you wanted was the soundtrack area to be masked off from exposure.

But definitely if you are shooting with anamorphic lenses, you don't want to use an Academy gate, you need it filed out to a taller area.

#6 Bruce Taylor

Bruce Taylor
  • Sustaining Members
  • 482 posts
  • Other
  • Los Angeles

Posted 02 August 2008 - 02:36 PM

Hi James,

Just to add to the general agreement, I've shot spherical lens tests with an anamorphic gate installed (to lazy to change it out) with no problem-- crop in post.

But on a more specific note, I have several gates for my Kinor 35H's that use a hard matte system to reduce the frame size. Here's a photo of an extreme example, a 2 perf gate. This is the side facing the lens:
kinor_2_perf_gate.jpg
Just a pair of screws top and bottom to hold the 2 black plates to crop the top and bottom. Simple and effective.

Also, I've seen this on ebay for awhile:

http://cgi.ebay.com/...p3286.m20.l1116

It's identified as a Kinor gate, but it's not for a Kinor 35H, I can tell you that. I thought perhaps it was for a 35C, because I don't know how they are arranged. Might be for an SKL, I don't know. Comes with the groundglass, so that's a plus. I do know that H.W. Stone who participates over at Konvas.org owns several Kinor 35C bodies set up for anamorphic. If you contact him he may be able to assist you.

Good luck,

Bruce Taylor
Indi35.com

#7 David Mullen ASC

David Mullen ASC
  • Sustaining Members
  • 19759 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 02 August 2008 - 03:27 PM

It's simple math -- a 1.37 Academy gate with a 2X anamorphic lens produces a 2.74 : 1 image on the screen with a small black border top & bottom when you make a contact print and project it with the correct anamorphic gate.

Now in some theaters, it isn't much of a problem because the screen masking chops off some of the image on all sides, or just the ends.

#8 Mitch Gross

Mitch Gross
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2873 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 04 August 2008 - 08:12 AM

Measure to find out what your gate really is. There's a very strong chance that it is a full silent aperture which is the same shape but is larger. A silent aperture is 24mm wide.

#9 James Steven Beverly

James Steven Beverly
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4199 posts
  • Director
  • El Paso, Texas

Posted 06 August 2008 - 12:50 AM

Thanks, Mitch and everyone else, I'll check that. It was made in I believe '85 and was the Kinor studio model. The 35H was the location model. The H s I believe came with the academy gate standard and were built up until the mid 90s but because there were so few 35Cs made info on them is very limited. I had always thought the mechanisms on both cameras were identical but it appears they are similar but different, so it may well be that they did use a full aperture gate on the C s which would save me a MASSIVE amount of aggravation! :D

Edited by James Steven Beverly, 06 August 2008 - 12:54 AM.

Glidecam

Wooden Camera

Opal

Technodolly

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Abel Cine

Visual Products

Tai Audio

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Rig Wheels Passport

CineTape

Paralinx LLC