Nick Norton
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 248 posts
  • Student
  • Chicago

Posted 06 August 2008 - 07:12 PM

HUGE beginner question alert!

About to start shooting 16mm film, and i have come to the ignorant conclusion that there are only:

7 Color negative stocks
1 Color reversal stock (ONLY ONE!?)
2 BW reversal
2 BW negative

This information was gathered from Kodak's website.

I believe FUJI has some 16mm stock, but i am having trouble finding it.

Is this true? Shooting on an eclair ACL, what perf stock do i need? Do all films come in mutliple perf setups? Is there a difference between regular 16mm film and super 16mm film?

A TON of questions, i know.

My sympathies to those who have read this, or who choose to answer a question or two-

Nicholas

#2 Keneu Luca

Keneu Luca
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 440 posts
  • Other

Posted 06 August 2008 - 08:18 PM

Nick, this is a great book:
http://cgi.ebay.com/...Q2em118Q2el1247

Asking questions is fine - I do it all the time. But are you also doing searches on this forum, along with general internet searches?

Also, utilize the ECLAIR subforum.

Yes there is a difference between regular 16mm and super 16mm. Just do a little search, youll find the answers on many websites.

Good luck.

#3 Will Montgomery

Will Montgomery
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2030 posts
  • Producer
  • Dallas, TX

Posted 07 August 2008 - 12:15 AM

Since Kodachrome left us we only have Ektachrome 100D in 16mm color reversal. It is a great reversal stock so don't feel bad. Plus-X and Tri-X are also available as reversal.

Fuji does have a full line of negative 16mm stocks available in the U.S. Go to their website and look up the sales offices. It's a pain to order but you can do it. I think you have to fill out some forms and fax them over... it's not just a simple credit card transaction the first time. Fuji stocks have a different look so try some out before commiting a big project to it. Nothing wrong with the look, just might be not what you expect if you've dealt exclusively with Kodak.

#4 Richardson Leao

Richardson Leao
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 363 posts
  • Other
  • Stockholm, Sweden

Posted 07 August 2008 - 04:36 AM

Since Kodachrome left us we only have Ektachrome 100D in 16mm color reversal. It is a great reversal stock so don't feel bad. Plus-X and Tri-X are also available as reversal.

Fuji does have a full line of negative 16mm stocks available in the U.S. Go to their website and look up the sales offices. It's a pain to order but you can do it. I think you have to fill out some forms and fax them over... it's not just a simple credit card transaction the first time. Fuji stocks have a different look so try some out before commiting a big project to it. Nothing wrong with the look, just might be not what you expect if you've dealt exclusively with Kodak.

check the fuji vivid, great stuff. Also, there is orwo, foma and in europe, some companis sell fuji velvia in 16mm, also great stock.

#5 Ira Ratner

Ira Ratner
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 558 posts
  • Other
  • Coral Springs, Florida

Posted 07 August 2008 - 09:44 PM

Nick, there's no difference between 16mm and super 16mm--the film you buy is the same. It has to do with the how much of the actual film it uses/exposes, depending on the gate and lens position. In the END there's a big difference if you want to transfer it to higher quality digital or for projection, but the film itself is the same. They only sell 16mm.

And there's a big difference between single perf and double perf--because you'll have a more difficult time finding double. Otherwise, it's the same crap--unless you're using the above mentioned Super 16, which needs that extra area. My low end Russian 16mm, a K-3, takes both single and double, but who cares. Single is what's easily available out there.

And whatever you do, make sure you buy something that takes regular daylight reels, and not cartridges. So don't get drunk and make any spur of the moment eBay purchases.

Edited by Ira Ratner, 07 August 2008 - 09:47 PM.

#6 Ira Ratner

Ira Ratner
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 558 posts
  • Other
  • Coral Springs, Florida

Posted 08 August 2008 - 06:42 PM

Correction/addition to above:

You have to go single perf for super 16, which is what's most widely available anyway.

Wooden Camera

Aerial Filmworks

Technodolly

Rig Wheels Passport

CineLab

FJS International, LLC

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Ritter Battery

Metropolis Post

Visual Products

Abel Cine

The Slider