New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Munich, Germany

Posted 11 August 2008 - 03:49 AM

hi!
For my next project i'll shoot on S16 with an modified SRII and i just asked me, if it is possible to use 3x3 filters (my smallest focal lengths will be 16mm)??
or should i use 4X4 to get save!?

#2 Adrian Sierkowski

Adrian Sierkowski
  • Sustaining Members
  • 7118 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles, Ca

Posted 11 August 2008 - 07:03 AM

If you have a 3x3 matte box, you can use 3x3 but on the 16mm you might see the MB. I'd recommend 4x4 if you can.

#3 clemens krueger

clemens krueger

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Munich, Germany

Posted 11 August 2008 - 09:07 AM

in the last days, we made a film on SRII N16mm and used 3x3-filters with a clip on matte box. we took also 16mm lenses and the mb was save....but when you shoot S16...i have no idea
the reason, why i want to use 3x3 filters and a 3x3-mb, is to get a very small setup. and the 4x4-mb isn't very small

#4 Adrian Sierkowski

Adrian Sierkowski
  • Sustaining Members
  • 7118 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles, Ca

Posted 11 August 2008 - 09:10 AM

Well, I know my 4x4 arri sometimes gives me trouble on my 12mm lens. . .I would think a 16mm lens might be a bit of a bitch with a 3x3. You may just have to back it up right onto the damned filter, ya know?
I would go with a 4x4 just to save yourself grief. They're not all that bit (well my arri isn't really if I don't throw on the eyebrows and the like) and i feel 4x4 filters are easier to come by.

#5 Patrick Neary

Patrick Neary
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 873 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Portland, OR

Posted 13 August 2008 - 10:11 AM

Hi-

You might also look at 138mm round or even a series 9 filter/hood combo if you want to go very simple and lightweight.

#6 Fran Kuhn

Fran Kuhn
  • Sustaining Members
  • 352 posts
  • Other

Posted 13 August 2008 - 03:16 PM

Clemens,

I've used this Chrosziel 3x3, 2-stage clip-on "Sunshade" with no problems on an A-Minima (S16). I believe the model number is S1001. No problem even with a 9.5mm Super Speed. It's nice for handheld shooting and anytime you need to keep the camera rig compact.

-Fran

Attached Images

• Chrosziel_3x3.jpg

#7 clemens krueger

clemens krueger

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Munich, Germany

Posted 14 August 2008 - 05:46 AM

hey fran, great set-up! i think the minima is the smallest s16-camera you can get..and with the chrosziel 3X3 it looks like a small videocam..

@patrick. i think, a round-filter isn't a good choice, cause you get so much uncontrolled lens reflections without any matte box...and when you have a mb, you don't need roundfilters..

#8 Chris Keth

Chris Keth
  • Sustaining Members
  • 4427 posts
  • 1st Assistant Camera
  • Los Angeles

Posted 15 August 2008 - 07:02 PM

hey fran, great set-up! i think the minima is the smallest s16-camera you can get..and with the chrosziel 3X3 it looks like a small videocam..

@patrick. i think, a round-filter isn't a good choice, cause you get so much uncontrolled lens reflections without any matte box...and when you have a mb, you don't need roundfilters..

The 138mm he is talking about is a round filter designed to go into a mattebox, in the bellows stage. It frees up the trays for other things. I prefer to carry 138mm round polas so the tray stages are free for nds and grads.

#9 Brian Drysdale

Brian Drysdale
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5070 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 16 August 2008 - 08:45 AM

I've used 3 x 3 filters on the old Arri clip on lightweight matte box shooting S16. It really depends on the lens you're planning to use, however, 4x4 is the current minimum size usually found on most shoots. With 3x3 filters the matte box really needs to be tight up against the lens, but with quite a few modern lens they could be too small. They're also too small to be used as grads.

The answer really is to test with the lenses you're planning to use.

Opal

Willys Widgets

Metropolis Post

Broadcast Solutions Inc

CineLab

Paralinx LLC

Wooden Camera

Abel Cine

Aerial Filmworks

FJS International, LLC

Visual Products

Glidecam